Diagnosed with high dysplasia Barrett's, what's next?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I was recently diagnosed with high dysplasia with regard to my Barrett's that was first diagnosed 20 yrs ago. I had one indeterminate histopathogy report early on but subsequent annual observations found nothing. I'm scheduling an appointment for a second opinion/confirmation with another physician soon. I understand it's likely that radiofreauency ablation will be suggested as a treatment option.

My question to anyone that has had this procedure is: how long does it generally takes to do the complete procedure? Will I be returning for one or several treatments to complete one radiofreauency procedure?

Thanks in advance for any information.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I had the same diagnosis and the first procedure was a resection to remove the dysplasia.  Then I had a Nissen fundoplication and hernia surgery so the GI doctor would be better able to remove the Barrett's.  The last thing was a cryoablation to remove the Barrett's.  He originally thought he would have to do two but the burns were deep enough that only one procedure was needed. The procedure didn't take long - I think it was less than an hour.  Since the burns were so deep, my chest hurt for three or four days but I was up and around for most of that time.  If you have a large hernia, they may want to correct that before doing an ablation.

I'm lucky to have a doctor at a large teaching hospital who specializes in the treatment of Barrett's.  My local GI doctor referred me to him because he said my case was beyond his field of expertise.  My suggestion would be to find the most experienced doctor you can.  

• Posted

Hi Elaine - would you be prepared to share the teaching hospital you went to? Sounds like you were very well cared for. I hope all continues to go well. Many thanks, Bob
    • Posted

I went to University Hospitals in Cleveland Ohio and my doctor is Amitabh Chak.  Do you live in the U.S.?  
    • Posted

Hi Elaine - no I live in Singapore but am from the UK. Thanks for sharing that it is good to know strong recommendations- I don’t think Barrett’s is that common in Singapore. Thanks again and I really hope your treatment is fully successful - you seem very satisfied with the outcome. Kind rgds, Bob
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply. I will seeing a physician at the Mayo Clinic in Minnesota.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.