Diagnosed with HSP and send to school from tomorrow

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi All of You,

My son (5.5years old) been diagnosed by HSP. I asked the doctor to give me an advice do I have to keep him at home or can he go to school. He said I can send him back straight away. He had swollen elbow and pain but he said if I do not want to send him I can keep him at home. I want advice from the doctor not to diced by myself. How do you deal with this? What can i say in the school?

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

My advice would be if he has been diagnosed recently, it would be better to keep him at home, as now is active period, things could change quickly. If it's been some weeks or months, then you could send him to school but not with intensive activities. 

• Posted

Hi Kate, sorry to hear about your son. My 3 1/2 yr old was diagnosed with HSP in Dec of last year 2016 and didn't recover fully until about 2 months later. I would definitely suggest keeping your son at home for at least a month because their immune system is very weak and vulnerable with HSP and a simple cold/virus or any other various types of infections which they can easily get from school will only make his recovery longer or worse. I found that a lot of rest and good nutrition helped a lot. The symptoms of HSP might go away quickly but their body/ stamina does not come back until a few weeks or even couple months after. Good luck and I wish your son a speedy and healthy recovery! smile 

• Posted

We are about 5 weeks in with this HSP. How long did the rash last with your child?
  • Posted

We are new to this aw well. We are about 4 weeks in and we have come a long way with this but we are by no means cured. We still have the rash and some days are better than others. I teach at a school and I recommend that you ask your school about doing a 504. This is to deal with attendance for your child. My daughter is only doing 1/2 days but I feel that is still too much. Get your dr to be on board with you. We started with tons of swelling and pain and a rash that wouldn't quit. We still have the rash but I would like to think that it's not as bad as in the beginning on most days. Feel free to email me with any questions. Best of luck!!

• Posted

Thanks for the advice. I am so confused the doctor looked like never seen this before. He did not even mentioned to me the kidney problems he said when I asked. They give a leaflet and that is it. When I asked about the school he looked at me as I am an idiotm I have consultad a privet immunologist and He said he would stay in bed for at least 4 weeks because the moving doen't help. But I have no idea how can I deal with the school. My concert the doctors do not know eighter He said to me you have to go and pick him up if he is in pain or get any joint in swollen. But I have no Idea how my employer will deal at that. Can you please tell me what is the 504 in school?

• Posted

A 504 is kind of like an IEP (individualized education plan ) but it deals with medical reasons that may affect your child's attendance or performance at school. With a 504... your child cannot be charged with being absent as long as it relates to the illness pretty much. I am in agrreeance  that feat helps but we try and do half days and just manage the rash as best as possible. My daughter is 5 and so being in bed for weeks isn't an option for her. We just do the best that we can. How many weeks are you in this?? 

We went through week two and 3 or pure torture. Jointpain, swelling, abdominal pain, and throwing up. It was awful. We haven't had any kidney affects to date and we are thankful for that. The swelling and pain has gotten better but the rash is relentless. Any time I can help please let me know. I found great people through this site that helped me and still help me and I want to give back. Hang in there! You are not alone.

• Posted

We get the diagnosis on the 14/09/2017. A day before that we have attend on A&E and one of the doctor has mentioned this illness. I have managed to speak with 2 other doctors and they said what did you already told me regarding the school. 

I am a bit on a deep hole. My husband did not think this is a real illness, he cannot understand the rash and the swelling can happened anytime. He think we are over it and we just have to check Ferenc urine. When I mentioned to him I have to go and speak with the school his look at me and ask why he is fine. So far he is. He is smilling ang walking and fine. But I am so scared he will fall back anytime. 

Anyway I have managed to book an appointment with the head teacher and our teacher to speak and do some plan, I really want to send him to school, but last night we have a tummy pain. Luckly as fast it came as fast it goes. I get scared. He just want me, what I will do if he is in the school when this will happen?

We went to pick up the urine test dipstick from the hospital today and I was so devistated. How I will manage and how I will ask him to stay calm and do not running around. 

Thanks for your support. I am so happy to found this forum. It is already helped me a lot. 

• Posted

My daughter is 4 and her HSP rash started on 11/09/2017 . We went to A&E and we were told it was HSP and that's it . For the next week every joint swelled and bruised and the rash spread. She then started vomiting and excreting blood . Ended up staying in hospital on 17/09/2017 . She was on an iv and put on steroids. It's very scary. We are home now her legs ache so bad she can't walk . I'm keeping an eye out for bloods and protein in her urine .

• Posted

Dear Rose,

I am so sorry to hear that. Ferenc ( my son ) just start vomiting today. Straight after the nurse visit. I rang them and still waiting for the call back. I am so scare. Now he is laying on the bed and he said it all is happening with him because he is to active and that is the punishment because he cannot sit for 5 mins. I hope your girl is get better soon. 

• Posted

hi my daghter is almost 6 years old ...now she completed 6 weeks since she was diagnosed with HSP ...

am really worried...

is it ok to have thebrash for more than 6 weeks?

please reply...

thank you

• Posted

Hi my son was just diagnosed on April 26th. Akron hospital kept him for three days. They informed me that he will have flare-ups for up to two months. He is 10 and in no way liking this. He is very energetic and doesn't like to be still very long. I was told as much rest and relaxation as possible for the two months and no strenious activities. I hope this helps

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.