DIAGNOSED WITH HYPERTHYROIDISM

Posted , 4 users are following.

Dear All,

I desperately need some advice because I'm really worried.

I'll just go through what has been going on with me over the past few months and what is going on now.

Around late February early March I suddenly woke up with extremely puffy eyelids and put this down to a reaction to my contact lens lotion. I decided not to wear my leses for a couple of weeks but my eyelids remained puffy. Then from about April I started to feel not quite right but couldn't put my finger on what was wrong with me. I was starting to feel more tired, breathless, weak, shakey and very anxious and panicky. I went to my GP just over 2 weeks ago and she done some bloods. My GP called me on Monday telling me I have an overactive thyroid and I started to take carbimazol 5mg/twice daily. Well, since then I feel like I have got worse sad I am very, very weak, extremely breathless and just feel so ill. My pulse will go no lower than 84bpm and sometimes shoots up to 120-136bpm which really freaks me out. My mum has had to move in with me as I am totally incapacitated.

Is this normal to feel like this? I'm so worried. When will the tablets start to work?

I've got an appointment in just over a week to seen an endocrinologist

Many thanks

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

From a fellow sufferer, it will get better! The endocrinologist may adjust your dosage, if necessary. Sounds like you have a really supportive family around you which is great, try to stay positive and be patient. It takes time to get this condition settled but things will improve.
  • Posted

I was diagnosed with Graves Disease about 8 years ago and found the racing pulse and anxiety it makes you feel very difficult to cope with. Many articles I read about the condition were very depressing which made it worse!

You will be pleased to know that I took beta blockers for 6 weeks and carbimazol for 18 months and have

been fine ever since. I am left with slightly puffy eye lids and ankles but otherwise no problems!

It is worth joining the British Thyroid Foundation who send out a regular newsletter and have members who you can phone for support.

• Posted

hi i was diagnosed the same as you about a year ago. i was also put on carbimazole and i got very poorly, after a month i went back to see the endocrinolgist i explained how i was feeling, he didnt seem to really care!! and wanted me to stay on the tablets for 12mths i refused and asked what else was available. iwas then given the option to have radio iodine treatment which i accepted, which cured me of over active thyroid, but it does send your thyroid underactive which is a lot easier to treat than a overactive thyroid hope this helps and good luck
  • Posted

Dear allanna and emerald55

Thank you for your replies and your encouragement that things will get better. I have felt so ill I thought I would not get through this. This breathlessness is just awful and I find it difficult to cope with. sad

My GP suggested I take beta blockers but this wasn't an option for me as I have a medication phobia and it was bad enough getting me to take the carbimazol!

I'm glad to know that things got better for both of you. smile

I've noticed my urine has got darker since yesterday...would this be normal while taking carbimazol? I such a worry guts!

I will definitely join the BTF as phone support would be quite useful.

• Posted

Earlier this year February 2012, I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism. I had a terribly fast heart beat, heavy sweating, shaking and a general low feeling and this is why I went in to get checked. 2 weeks after my results came back that I was hyperthyroid and I felt much better after that..my Labs were:

TSH Out of Range(0.00) Reference Values(.4-5.00)

Free T4 (FT4) Out of Range(27.26) Reference Values(9.03-19.09)

Total T3 Out of Range(162) Reference Values(58-159)

I was hooked up to an endo(who says I have Grave's Disease) by my GP @ school and she put me on 5mg of Neomercazole to be taken twice a day and 10mg of propanolol(betablocker), since I've been on medication I've felt terrible. Experiencing dizziness,feel like I have to get things done very fast and that I have to walk fast, I always feel like my body is ahead of me, I have terrible hand tremors when I extend them, having terrible head sensations, not headache just some weird head feelings and tingling,pressure and heaviness in my head, and my head feels like I'm out of it, I have hand cramping,neck discomfort, I also have times when I am breatheless, I feel heat inside my body, heat coming from both ears and now its June and I have been on medz from February and I am still having all these symptoms constantly and new ones: weakness in my hands, knees and ankles, there are days I don't know how I walk, and I'm having a general low feeling, no appetite, feeling sick (terribly sick). I did some new labs for my thyroid gland and my TSH is now 1.47, havent did my FT4 or FT3 yet..I did a CT Brain and an ultrasound of my thyroid and all is NORMAL.HELP! Are these ALL really symptoms of Hyperthyroidism ALONE from February till now July!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.