diagnosed with IBS at 18

Posted , 6 users are following.

I've been diagnosed with IBS, I had my blood taken at the doctors and they suspect that I have IBS. So I've been given buscapan and omeprazole which have definitely helped my symptoms, but it's still noticable symptoms.Ive cut down on the fizzy drinks. Is there any other advice that's helpful

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

You should try following the low fodmap diet, this cuts back on food types that can ferment in the gut leading to gas and then cramps/toilet issues. Its worth keeping a food diary to see what upsets you and what you feel is safe to eat. Some foods low in fodmap can still causes issues, for instance tomatos and peppers can give me cramps due to the tough skins.

Anxiety and stress can also makes things worse.

Senocalm is a lifesaver for trapped gas and i take this more than buscopan.

Omeprazole is mostly for acid reflux and at 18 i would try not to be on that forever.

• Posted

IBS medication often reduces the symptoms rather than getting rid of them completely, so your symptoms may still be noticeable. Stress reduction, a food diary/low Fodmap diet and light exercise can help. When you have IBS, the goal is symptom management because there is no cure. I found my symptoms went into remission simply by avoiding stress. Different thing work for different people I didn't expect an almost complete remisssion. I assumed I would always have noticeable IBS but this changed. Try and see if you notice what triggers your IBS and work on that. You are doing the best you can. Keep on your Buscopan and omeprazole since it is helping .

• Posted

it depends what's causing your symptoms. try keeping a diary go see if there are any links between certain food, activities etc and your symptoms. different things bother different people, so it is trial and error, but common triggers include stress, eating too fast/ too much, spicy food, high fat food, foods high in insoluble fibre, caffeine, alcohol, hormone(for women)

• Posted

see a dietitian, you are really quite young and with the correct support you could have a lovely life. try adding in a probiotic into your diet, it might help you. control your stress, speak to a doctor about stress techniques and try to relax, it might help you. good luck!

• Posted

I did have some symptoms of IBS last year, which I've never experienced before in my life, but these soon faded as I believe it was stress related, as I'd just had a parental bereavement, and even though I was coming to terms with it, it was still in my system and my gut had other ideas?!

I didn't realise it could cause this, but the GP said yes, and funnily enough it has calmed down now and gone really.

I know its not a soultion , but look at any outside stress if its a factor? as I felt ok in myself.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.