Diagnosed with IBS , daily pain with trapped wind but convinced its menopause

Posted , 4 users are following.

hi, I'm 53 years old and going through the menopause, 14 months ago I started with stomach pain and over the last few months it's pretty much daily and I no longer have a regular bowel movement, the pain feels like trapped wind and lasts 20 to 30 minutes at a time. the longest I have gone recently is 4 pain free days. the GP has diagnosed me with IBS but the more I read about the menopause the more I'm convinced this is the cause. I'm strict with my diet, cut out lactose and all the 'red' foods that trigger IBS but still suffer. has anyone else experienced this ? thank you in advance

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

im 46 & in perimenopause had bloating etc since August last year doctor also said ibs which rears its ugly head when our hormones are all over the place. My stomach hurts daily, im really bloated & i rush to the loo on waking very loose & really smelly sorry for tmi! Also have awful awful painful lower back ache x

• Posted

thank you, i'm sorry you're suffering but reassured it's all down to hormones as I suspected !

• Edited

hi, ladies

I am 51 year old my bloating started in March of this year. I have Trapp gas on my left side it's sore I feel like I have to move my bowel all the time. do any of you ladies are experiencing this than somtime it's like pressure back there. one minute my bowel is fine next minute they loose not running just loose. Kath I feel you the more I read I feel it's menopause.

• Posted

hi Kathryn

mines started over 2 years ago and 5 months ago had an endoscopy all fine apart from mild gastritis. I had biopsy done for crohns and coleic too.

my stomach was so bloated and trapped wind was daily for a year. I'm eating probiotics which has stopped the trapped wind and heart burn. I suffer from acid reflux daily.

right now have another DRs appointment as my stomach has had a dull ache on my lower right handside.

also my bowels have changed a lot from constipated to going a few times! I just want to get myself checked out again and ask for a colonscopy and scan.

it's never ending!

• Edited

thank you for your replies, I don't really want to go down the investigation route which I why I thought I would see if any other ladies suffer the same. I was naive to think menopause was all about no monthlies and hot flushes !!! how wrong was I

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.