Diagnosed with IBS for 3 years. No pain/discomfort just bloated

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi there

I have been diagnosed with IBS by my GP and a Consultant. This was after I became bloated one day and since then it has never gone away.

I was tested for celiac, pylori and general things and all came back fine/negative.

I am bloated 24/7 regardless of if I have eaten or not. From first thing in the morning until I go to bed I am constantly bloated.

I feel no pain or discomfort though which I am grateful for. I have frequently bowel movements and go to the toilet on average 3-4 times a day.

Some foods are not disgusted properly and I see them in the toilet bowl like they haven't been touched. From this I can tell that the food I have eaten only hours ago (possibly 4hours) have already passed through my system

A doctor just said that my intestines is not pushing my food through as quick hence gas builds up...but this contradicts my frequent bowel movements.

People say write down the foods that elevates your symptoms but I find that only one kind of thing i eat will increase bloating and thats oily foods...i.e. olive oil in salads as a dressing, deep fried food like KFC. Apart from this I have not noticed any severe effects from what I eat.

I have tried probiotics, charcoal tablets with no effect. My GP said to try low fodmaps so I am yet to do that. But I don't have much confidence in it considering that I am constantly bloated and it doesn't vary much.

I am at a loss as to what to try next...

Anyone with the same IBS symptoms as myself?

Thank you

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

firstly, do you mean bloating or abdominal distension? bloating is the feeling of being really full, but distension is the abdomen actually increases in size and feels hard.
    • Posted

Good question! I don't get the feeling of being full or any discomfort so its just the increase in size of my abdomen. Its not hard though...when I press into it I can tell its just trapped air in my intestines.

• Posted

Try Fodmap as your doctor suggested.  You won't know whether it works unless you try it. It is proven to help many with IBS.

• Posted

Thanks I ordered a book about low fodmap diet so will give it go as I don't know what else for now.

• Posted

I go 10-15 times a day with pain and no matter what I eat or drink that's how it is obv some food or drinks make it worse but this is how it is.

• Posted

Aw sorry to hear makes my 4 times a day sound like nothing.
  • Posted

Hey it sucks no matter what def not making a comparison between my job and this it sucks. And I've had every test that shows negative for everything and nobody acknowledges the fact that it's a real issue.

• Posted

Hi I agree,  Fox maps will work  excuse my stupid phone you hopefully know what I mean.  They've worked for me.  It's easier to eat now.  I know what I can have and this helps as I'm vegetarian too.  My bad food is bleached,  cheap white bread.  Also stone fruits.  But insist you need help the dietitians are great,  good luck. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.