Diagnosed with Intestinal Metaplasia

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'm worried to death....I've been dx with IM and am freaking out not knowing what my future holds.  Can anyone tell me anything about it, does it automatically turn into cancer, if so how long does a person have.  I'm dumbfounded.  My doctor put me on an anti and told me to follow up in a year.  Please help.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hello Dawn, I was diagnosed with this 7 years ago. Two Gastroenterologists told me that the UK do not regularly follow up with endoscopies as such a small % go on to something more sinister. I understand although am not medically qualified, that Barrats Oesophogus is more of an issue. If I were you and could persuade your GP to refer you for regular endoscopies I would just for peace of mind but if you are in the UK, don't hold your breath! I am currently having stomach pain but as yet, cannot get a referral for an endoscopy even though I have IM.

• Posted

Thank you so much for replying......I've been doing alot of research but am thankful that someone can understand my concern.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.