Diagnosed with mitral valve prolapse, symptoms getting slightly worse, what next?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi, after several months of hospital visits and almost every '-ologist' doctor visits, I have finally found the cause behind my symptoms which have been getting worse over time (chest pains and the feeling of tightness, shortness of breath and general random trouble breathing whether there was some physical activity or no physical activity, heart palpitations, fainting and dizziness spells, tremors and shakiness, lightheadedness, fatigue). I went to a cardiologist, whom gave me an echocardiogram, and I was diagnosed with mitral valve prolapse, although most people suffering from this heart disorder don't have any symptoms at all throughout their whole lives.The main results from the echo: enlarged left ventricle, mitral regurgitation, MVP. The cardiologist also did an ECG and confirmed heart arrythmia and IRBBB. After the cardiology visit, I was told to wear a holter for 24 hours and currently I am still waiting for the results, which I will recieve in 2-3 weeks. And this will show if I need medication, surgery or simply just to change my lifestyle. I'm writing on this forum to find out from anyone who suffers from the same heart disorder, how they went through it, if they recieved treatment. I simply want to find out something more from people who went through the same thing I am going through.

?Thank you!

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Martyn, I was diagnosed with AF last August, admitted to hospital with a pulse rate of 178 had ECG and put on apixaban, bisoprolol and digoxin. Its taken a while to get the meds right as they have been juggled about somewhat but now seem to be working, since going on the drugs i get claudication in my left leg if i walk too fast but have now learnt to slow down a bit ( I am an active 70 year old) it looks like i will be on the drugs for the rest of my life though as the AF is constant. All I can say is be guided by your GP and consultant, read up on any adverse effets of drugs and contact GP immediately if you're getting and side effects . Hope you get on OK

regards. Sue 

• Posted

Not sure youre posting to the right discussion forum here. If you search with mitral valve prolapse, mitral valve regurgitation, floppy mitral valve in the search box up top it will lead you to information sources within this site. The terms all mean the same thing...I didn't spot if there was a forum to meet your needs... I'll go back and find out

• Posted

I had no idea there were so many topics - condtions and drugs on this site! 

Mitral valve regurgitation is not one of them. I suggest you book a long appointment with your GP to discuss. And look at some heart specific sites

• Posted

Try the British Heart Foundation Forum - Living with mitral valve prolapse.

Cant post the url - message will be blocked!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.