Diagnosed with Mono-tender breast and awkward pain

Posted , 5 users are following.

So i was diagnosed with mono about 8 weeks ago and it’s not been fun. I have had a sore neck with pain under my chin, small lump on side of neck, and now i started getting a sensation in my breasts. Both breasts are tender and just feel a bit weird. Getting a mammogram in a week but curious if anyone else had any breast pain with mono. Any insight to your discomforts may help lessen my worry. 

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lindsey. Sorry that you have caught this horrible virus. During the early stages of my Mono story I do recall having the breast symptoms you have described. It did however stop when all my other symptoms started to ease up. Personally I was more effected by the neuralogical symptoms and stuff. Getting checked is definitely a good idea, even if its to put your mind at ease. Best of luck hun and let us know how you travel. We are all here for each other and knowledge is power. Sending love
  • Posted

Hi Lindsey,

So sorry to hear you've been having such a tough time with mono. Just want to reassure you that what you're going through is normal and that things will get better. Pain around that chest area is something I had and quite normal due to all the glands in that area and the spleen and everything. I remember having lots of aches and pains around there, it certainly sounds like it could be from the glands in those areas and is nothing to worry about, horrible as it is, just part of this horrible horrible virus. I also had a reactive gland in my neck too which was painful and so bothersome throughout this virus. 

Just want you to know things will get better, hang in there and thinking about, just so frustrating it can take a bit of time with this, but by far what you're going through now is the worst stage and hoping and praying things settle soon - hang in there LIndsey and you will get through this.

Craig

• Posted

Hi Lindsey 

I never really have tender boobs when ovulating or during my period, however during my worst month with mono my boobs were very tender, I checked on my cycle and it was intact the time I was ovulating - but this is something which I never experienced before mono. I do take evening primrose as I’ve had a couple of other breast issues in the past and they say evening primrose is very good for breast pain or discomfort. I’m sure you will be fine, best of luck for the mammogram x

• Posted

Hi Lindsey,

I didn't have those symptoms, but have more neurological, with exhaustion.

Probably a good idea to get your Mammogram.  Have you been able to work while having Mono?

I was diagnosed Aug 6th and have been out of work since.  I am supposed to go back Oct 3rd, but don't feel that I'm ready.

I'm not exhausted, but get tired very easily.

• Posted

Just a call out for you Kirsty, Leslie and Lindsey, just to let you know still thinking about you and rooting for you right now - hit a bit of a low myself right now so sorry for not posting and replying to everything - but just so you know I'm still believing each of you guys are going to get through this and get better, fully better.

Craig

• Posted

Hi Craig!  

Thank You and you too will get well soon!!!  Remember, as you told me, vitamins really make a difference!

Leslie

• Posted

Thanks Leslie, really appreciate your kind and supportive words. Yes have been trying so many vitamins and herbs I have maybe been overdoing it a bit in that field at times. We just need to hang in there right now, thinking about you still and believing in your recovery.

Craig

• Posted

Hi Leslie

Yes I have worked continuously since diagnosed around August 20th. But i got to work from home a bit so was able to rest a bit. I have tired day but just more nervous now about my tenderness in my chest and now i have pain in both armpits. I am so ready to get better. It’s been about 8 weeks of now feeling well and i am close to my whits end!  I just don’t want it to be anything else!  I have two little babies and they need me and O need them!  This is just so stressful!  

Good luck with your heeling!  Nice to talk to others who have similar experiences. 

• Posted

Hi Lindsey,

So have you seen your doctor since these symptoms started and after your initial diagnosis of Mono?

Mono/EBV produces such strange symptoms!!!

• Posted

Yes my NP twice, she said it shouldn’t be mono anymore so referred me to ENT. He said it was probably a virus and to wait two more week and if it didn’t go away do a CT of neck. I had the CT Tuesday and I get the results today 🙏🏻🤞🏼🙏🏻  

I also called my ObGYN about my breast sensation and feelings and they ordered a mammogram which i am doing on Monday. I just pray everything comes back normal and this is all mono. It it’s just so scary and weird it makes you go crazy. I was only tired for like a week where i needed naps so i guess that’s why i have been so scared. 

• Posted

My daughter was diagnosed with Mono same day as me.  She is 19 and rested for a few days and was her usual self after that.  I'm 56 and it has taken me much longer to recover.  My doc said that she thinks I have residual affects.  

Everyone reacts differently to this darn virus!!!  Please let us know the outcome of your results.  Praying that everything is okay.

• Posted

Still thinking about you and your daughter Leslie, it's amazing to hear about your daughter making such a quick recovery, that really is good news and hope she is doing much better now. And you will follow suit too Leslie, don't panic that it's taken longer I think this is more of a normal course unfortunately but you will get there ABSOLUTELY YOU WILL!!

Craig

• Posted

Not sure if every that has posted will see this comment. So my CT of my neck and mammo came back normal. I am still having breast pain and pain in arm pits. More of burning pain in arm pits and it is intermittent pain not continual. Very frustrating as I still worry it could be something else besides mono.

• Posted

Hi Lindsey,

Goodness you must be so fed up still having this pain, just want you to know thinking about you and reassure you that pain in these areas are very common and normal with mono. The chest area and armpits are prime glandular areas, and it is normal to feel all sorts of strange and weird aches and pains in those areas when going through this virus unfortunately. I had pain in my upper mid chest and neck in particular due to the glands, but it does settle down with time Lindsey and it most likely is just the mono and not anything else, but of course there is no harm in checking in with the doctor to check and hoping they can offer reassurance and help if so.

Hang in there Lindsey, still believe you are going to get through this and get full better - this thing does get better, just so frustrating it takes time, but you absolutely WILL get better I truly believe that having went through it myself and got there thanks to God's help and healing.

Craig

• Posted

Glad to hear that your CT and Mammo were both negative!!! If you're concerned go back and ask for blood work and possibly an ultrasound of your armpits. We have to be our own best advocates.

• Posted

I do hope you and your daughter have been doing a bit better Leslie, just wanted to let you know I'm still believing you are both going to fully get there and get over this. Thinking about you and hang in there!

Craig

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.