Diagnosed with nodules and hyperthyroidism

Posted , 4 users are following.

hi everyone, 

My ultrasound scan shows nodules and the consultant wants to remove the whole thyroid. I want to keep my thyroid and have just the nodules removed.  I will ask if they can do this on my next visit but meantime - has anyone heard of having only the nodules operated on and keeping the thyroid?

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Yeroliza

absolutely - I've quite a few friends who've just had the nodules removed (especially if they are small!).  I have a multi-nodular goitre myself and opted to have radio iodine as opposed to an operation.   You do have choices and it is your perogativ (with the guidance of your doctors) what treatment will work best.  I don't like operations so opted for a less invasive route.

I wish you well.

Lindsay

• Posted

Hi Lindsey and thank you for your reply . I am amazed that you know of people who have had nodules removed as I got the impression that this wasn't done from my consultant.  I have only been given the whole thyroid removal option.  I am not suitable for radio active iodine therapy they told me why but I can't remember the explanation. As it's not an option I didn't hang onto the information.  Have you had the RA treatment yet and if so how are you feeling now?
    • Posted

I had the treatment nearly 3 months ago.  The goitre has definitely shrunk but I've no improvement with the symptoms (which can apparently take 6 months plus).  But it was a very straightforward alternative to surgery with no side effects.  Good luck with whatever you choose to do.  
  • Posted

People on another Graves disease site have had their nodules shrink with medication combined with supplements called L-Carnitine and Acetyl-L-Carnitine as well as Vitamin D.  Carnitine is an amino acid normally present in the body but Carnitine gets lost from the body thru urination in hyperthyroid patients.  As well, hyperthyroid patients tend to be vitamin D deficient and this also needs to be replaced.  When carnitine is supplemented with antithryoid meds such as Carbimazole, the dose of Carbimazole does not need to be as high.  I would just tell the doc that you want to try a course of medication.  Your doc, even an Endo will not know about the Carnitine.  You can Google L-Carnitine and Hyperthyroidism and see a research paper written on this topic by Dr. Salvatore Benvenga.  I used both initially but the Acetyl-L-Carnitine worked better on me to raise my TSH level.  The Carnitines can be purchased through your Health Food Store.  The Carbimazole needs to be prescribed by your doctor.
  • Posted

I had my thyroid removed 4 months ago. I have never felt better.  Best choice I ever made. Easy surgery.  Wish I hadn't have been sick all those years when I didn't have to be. Honestly...it changed my life.  I got my life back!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.