Diagnosed with osteoarthritis in the vertebrae, both lumbar and upper back. Helpful suggestions?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I’m very active, but the arthritis is due, mostly, to poor postureseated at desk and piano (music educator).

I work out regularly, take periodic NSAID’s, cortisone shots have been mildly successful. Anything that has been helpful for you would be welcome! Chris smile

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Years ago I got exercises from a physiotherapist which are designed to strengthen and help maintain strength of the muscles supporting the spine.  They have been helpful, but I have to do them very regularly.  I suggest consulting a physiotherapist.  They can give you exercises which will help counteract the bad effects of the poor posture! 
  • Posted

I agree with anhaga. The exercises are a pain but they do make a difference. It is vital to have as strong muscles as possible to offset the arthritis. I use to hate people who were always fiddling w/themselves and now I am one! The catch is there is usually discomfort while you are building those muscles & the process is constant & continual. OA is not for the feint of heart & you have to have discipline & it is hard, very hard. Hot showers help with my back. Stay away from pain meds & surgery & be judicious with the cortisone shots. Improve that posture! I'm sure bad posture doesn't cause OA but it doesn't help it either.

• Posted

I think physio exercises have to be the most boring activity!  I have to have some distraction when I do them, radio or tv....  
    • Posted

oh, I agree. Expensive(PT), time consuming, boring but oh, so necessarysmile
  • Posted

Be aware that NSAIDs can interfere with cartilage regeneration, so avoid them as much as you can.  
    • Posted

You are always such a wealth of information. And I learned something new from you today. I did not know that about NSAIDs. I don't take most NSAIDs because most of them make me sick to my stomach but it's good to know that in case my doctor suggests it.

• Posted

Oddly enough I have known this since my OA diagnosis at age 40.  This was long before internet, of course, so I must have read it somewhere.  My doctor had suggested I take coated aspirin which I did for a while, but on reading about it I stopped and have never taken painkillers specifically for OA since.  I have enjoyed the relief of OA as a side effect from taking painkillers for headaches. cool Recently I looked it up, to make sure I had been telling the truth, and, yes, there has been research showing that NSAIDs do have this unfortunate effect.  

I've been taking glucosamine for years, at a fairly high dose, and I suppose this has helped me, although in this case the research seems to be somewhat equivocal.  It's a long term treatment, won't have any effect quickly, and isn't a painkiller.  However, be warned, some people claim it upsets their stomach, but I've been taking a kind which is a powder in a capsule, not a solid pill or caplet, and have never had any problems.  I bought the solid kind by mistake a couple of times and found I couldn't even swallow them! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.