Diagnosed with osteoporosis @ 53 (terrified)

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi folks.im new to this forum and am seeking both help and support. 

After being diagnosed as osteopenic @ 44, I have since supported degeneration of both my cervical and thoracic spine and and suspecting my lumbar spine as well. 

I’m seeing a neuro surgeon in a few weeks and I’ve just had a new bone density scan done which revealed a t score of -2.9 in my spine and -2 in my hips. 

I have a drs appt today to discuss results and I just know I’m going to be offered drugs, which after all I’ve read, have terrible side effects. 

I have a history of anorexia in my late 30’s which I had for 2 years. 

I am vegan and have always been hyper vigilant of my diet. 

I have pernicious aneamia if this is of any relevance.

A rheumatologist also told me I have scoliosis after he picked it up on an X-ray for something else. 

I’m terrified of what’s to come and would appreciate any help, advice or support. 😢

Thank you.  

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Well, if it is any consolation there is now some concerns that the Dexa scans are not as reliable as people are led to believe. My husband does not believe his results at all nor mine. He gets scientific about it lol. 

Try having K2, checking your calcium and vitamin D levels, being on a very good diet, exercising, and most of all, not worrying about the numbers.

Magnesium is another important one to address as it affects bone health too.

Yoghurt is one of the best things you can include in your diet.

All the best.

• Posted

The t-score in your hips is still within what's called "osteopenia" or low bone mass range, where medication is not recommended.  The spine is often not as good as the hips, and that's true in your case.  To avoid having to eventually take medication there is quite a lot you can do to improve matters.  Kathleen has given you excellent advice to get started.  If you can get an assessment from a physiotherapist and exercises prescribed to strengthen the muscles which support the spine that would be good, but there are good exercises on line.  The greatest risk for fracture for anyone, osteoporosis or not, is falling, so taking up tai chi or other activities which improve the sense of balance would be a good idea.  

At 53 you don't want to be starting medication.  Even at age nearly 70 I was able to improve my t-score to a level where they no longer recommend drugs, and I did it solely through natural means - nutrition, a few supplements and appropriate exercise.  Google healthunlocked my osteoporosis journey for my account.  

Best wishes, do keep in touch.

• Posted

Hi all. Thank you for your generous replies and info.

My drs appointment went well but as I suspected, drugs were offered, specifically a Zoledronic acid infusion administered annually for 3 years.

i was informed that I would have to have my kidneys and liver checked both before and after the infusion as damage can occur and that there is a risk of heart issues.

ive asked for a few weeks to think about it and to have a chance to speak to both my surgeon and naturopath to plot a natural path.

My anorexia has been under control for over 7 years and I eat extremely well.

ive started on a calcium supplement, magnesium, vit D and thanks to your suggestions, vit K.

im still beating myself up re: my past eating disorder and am quite depressed about this diagnosis.

im hoping the cloud lifts soon. 😢

• Posted

Please don't stress about the past.  What's done is done and today is a new day.  I do appreciate how distressing the diagnosis is.  I think it's always a shock because it changes our self image.  But you already are taking control by doing your research and starting to do what you can do for yourself.  And please ask questions here if you have any.  We are only patients, too, but many of us have trodden this path some way already and are happy to share what we've learned.  And someday soon you'll be sharing your experiences. ??

• Posted

Thank you so much Anhaga. 

I appreciate your kind words. 

How far into this journey are you? 

I’m looking for hope and hate the uncertainty of what’s to come. 😕

• Posted

If you google healthunlocked my osteoporosis journey you will find the account I wrote about what I've done to improve my bones.  I, too felt "shattered" not to say "crushed" by being told I had osteoporosis.  My doctor actually was wrong, I had "low bone mass" which is also called osteopenia, but because of other risk factors they were recommending drugs.  I was terrified of the drugs, irrationally perhaps more afraid of them than of bone thinning.  But my alternative way of approaching the problem resulted in my being able to increase my bone density within a year to the point that the drugs are no longer recommended.  I won't be eligible for another scan for a couple more years, so I continue with what I've been doing, as outlined in my little essay, and feel very confident that these lifestyle changes will see me safely through the rest of my life.   

• Posted

Make sure it is K2 not K1 as the latter is available in your diet.

Be kind to yourself. We all have regrets and hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Take your time making your decision or wait a while to see how the natural way works for you.

All the best.

• Posted

Thank you Kathleen. 

Yes it’s definately K2

I appreciate your support. 🙂

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.