Diagnosed with p m r so confused on a high dose of prednisone Drs think I can work 8 hrs a day I can

Posted , 2 users are following.

Not sure having a rough time anyone else having trouble walking am I supposed to be able to hold down a 40 hr work week . Am I a weakling I'm 59 yrs old so don't know what I'm supposed to be feeling

Please help

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hello Karen,  what is P M R pls as it could help to answer your question.
    • Posted

I think it's an abbreviation for polymyalgia (Polymyalgia Rheumatica = PMR). Similar to Fibromyalgia (FMS - Fibromyalgia Syndrome).  Unfortunately doctors and benefits officials aren't yet in agreement re these pain syndromes and it's difficult to get recognition for the extent of the disability and distress they cause.  I have Osteo arthritis and now FMS and other than getting handed prescriptions for painkillers or anti inflamms, not much help is offered.  Particularly difficult for those of us who have to work as in mine and Karen's case.  Some days are hell on earth with pain that never lets up but because it's 'invisible' to others, it's hard for them to realise just how debilitating it is.
    • Posted

Thanks for explains Loxie. I understand pain from OA as I have had arthritis since aged 11 had my knee replaced twice and needing a partial one now. I am only 59 and have poor mobility. It is debilitating pain so I feel for you & Karen. Take care xx
    • Posted

So sorry to hear about your long standing battle with arthritis Elizabeth.  It's a double edge sword sometimes isn't it. It reduces your mobility yet exercise would help but we often can't do much and it becomes a vicious circle.  I have managed to cope with the arthritis and try not to let it ruin my life but the pain from the FMS is difficult to manage and strikes without warning or any known trigger.  I think stress heightens it too, in the lead up to Christmas we're horrendously busy at work and I'm working long hours plus trying to get shopping and all the other stuff done, then get wiped out with pain.  I try so hard not to just sit and wallow in it or resort to popping handfuls of pills (which I hate doing) but it can be relentless at times which I guess you also know about.

• Posted

I also have copd which I think along with the PMR is making it hard to breath would the PMR have an effect with the copd and should I call the dr if it gets worse or nothing to worry about

I guess I'm just tripping out a little sorry if I'm a big worry wort

Thanks for taking the time to read this

Karen

• Posted

Hi Karen.  It's  understandable you worry about your health problems, we all do when it's a chronic condition and especially if new symptoms appear or existing ones seem to get worse.  PMR is an inflammatory condition so it's possible it has a knock on effect if you have other issues, as the body is fighting all the time against the inflammation/pain.  Being stressed will definitely affect both the PMR and the COPD, so if you're anxious about the problems, that anxiety will cause adrenal issues and over production of cortisol, which in turn will aggravate your conditions.  You must be worried, as I certainly am, about being able to continue to work and earn a living, coping etc., and that worry will be having a bad effect on your health issues.  Easy to say and not easy to manage I know, but best advice is to try to find a way to relax.  Maybe join a meditation group, or just find some guided meditation - particularly the mindfulness type - on say Youtube.  I discovered Mindfulness technique some years ago and it really helps, it was devised specifically to help with pain.  You absolutely don't need to apologise, continuous pain is a nightmare and difficult for others to understand as it's 'invisible' and only the sufferer can know how bad it is.  These forums are a great help as we can have a moan with people who understand what we're going through.
  • Posted

Went back to the RA today he says if the steroids 20 mg a day is not working then this will not be PMR although I have all the symptoms of PMR he says 20 mg of Prednisones would have done the trick now I don't know where to go from here does anyone have any idea where I should go or try next he seems to think it's in the back from a pinched nerve but I've been to all the doctors back n hip n spine to no avail

So at a loss right now

Where do I turn someone please help me

Thank you Karen

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.