Diagnosed with PMR

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi, any help would be much appreciated.

PMR diagnosis has now been confirmed following a 2 week trial of Prednisolone. Bloods tests showed everything was normal. All shoulder and arm pain completely gone! Hip pain mostly gone but right hip today is very sore. GP wanted me to take 30 mg for 2 weeks, but I started on 25, now at 20. Gp has suggested 2.5 mg weekly decreases until I get to 15mg then go back to see her and I'll be keen to go very slowly with reducing. So many questions and worries! Like many on here I have/had a very good level of fitness but am learning I have to pace myself and I'm already seeing leg and ab muscles becoming soft and lacking tone. Will this deterioration continue? I also have 2 bulging lower discs, and have managed this by regular core/back strengthening exercises. My lower back is sore today alonh with right hip pain...Not sure how I'm going to maintain core strength if the pred limits what I can do?

Also GP said to go back in 3 weeks and get calcium/vit D supplements. I'd rather start this now, but unable to swallow any large tablets...Are there chewable options?

I'm having disturbed sleep, mostly because of night sweats...Is this a side effect of Prednisolone?

How do people manage work and PMR? Im 54 and have been off work for 3 weeks..I had become unable to cope with a highly stressful job along with the tiredness and pain. But I'll need to go back soon and worry how I'll cope with the stress again. I've been referred to occupational health and a phased return will help. Ill be reducing my week to 4 days soon which will also help.

Feeling a bit despondent today... Start of a long journey I think.

Thank in advance for any support and suggestions.

Lynda

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Lynda

i can't answer all but will try and help. First - muscles, abs etc. The reason they are weakening is because you have been ill and not able to exercise - you will get your tone back but you need to be a little patient. I had spinal fusion at 40 having been a triathlete and it took me a while but I got my fitness back - once I was better. Re calcium and vit d. Your bloods will have been tested and your levels will be fine; taking a supplement is preventative whilst on steroids but you can't lose them from your body that quickly - so wait. It will do no harm. And work - if you are signed off you have to put that one in a separate box in your brain. You are entitled to sick pay and if your employers know you are ill they should be sympathetic if you have a good track record. Even if it's a no, you have employment statutory rights. You WILL get better, you just have to be a little patient and accept this is a glitch. So eat nice stuff, try and relax, and give it time. You will get your body back, delaying supplements is not a problem, and your job is safe. I understand you want to be proactive about your condition but remember - the worst part of being ill is getting better. 

• Posted

I do feel reassured by your reply, thanks for that! You've answered some of my concerns.

Glad to hear you have regained your fitness...How long did that take?

I am off into panic mode at the slightest concern.. not taking calcium, immediately, was worrying me...Bonkers eh?! Even though I get through 2 x 2 litres of milk a week.

I took a sick note in to my manager today for 3 weeks. She seems in no hurry for me to return till I'm ready and was very supportive...Phew.

I'm eating well, have cut out lots of sugary crap and salt, fewer carbs and haven't gained weight so all good on that front.

Resting, reading, TV, puzzles....Getting used to new way of life smile

Walking I can manage.

It's just a glitch...Great way of looking at it... Many thanks!

• Posted

Hi Lynda,

I hope you are feeling a little better today.

I don't often comment on this forum, although the support I have had is amazing, I do not have the expertise many on here do.

However after reading you're comments I can certainly empathize.

I was diagnosed in May 16, although I had been unwell for sometime.

12months ago I had a physically and mentally demanding job.

When my general manager asked me to alter a huge display, all I could think of was the stress and pain it was going to cause me, to get to the 10ft ladders I needed and how would I carry them.

I knew then I could no longer work, which has been mentally devastating and physically debilitating.

I am also single and in the UK, not knowing how I would survive financially I went to the Citizens Advice, it pains me to say it but I had to apply for sickness and disability benefits.

Would I rather be at work, driving an old banger, yes, can I do that anymore no.

This forum and the people on it have taught me acceptance, took a while, but this illness is debilitating and my point of rambling is

if you need or should stop the job you are doing, there is help and support out there.

Please don't push yourself to stay at work, I did and from a health point of view it isn't worth it.

Take care,

Julia

• Posted

Hi Julia, sounds like you've been through a tough time, accepting massive changes can't have been easy for you and to give up your career must have been a horrible decision to make...

Hopefully a new direction will be around the corner, once you feel well enough. It's something I might have to think about. At the moment making a shopping list is enough decision making for me!

Thanks for your kind words smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.