Diagnosed with POTS syndrome

Posted , 3 users are following.

Recently I’ve been diagnosed with POTS Syndrome. I recall having a few of what I call “spells” in my teen years (I am now in my 20’s). The spells almost seem like low blood glucose: faint feeling, foggy head, pouring cold sweat, dizzy, feeling faint. The low blood glucose, along with other things was ruled out with lab work. Recently it just struck and would not go away. Along with horrid, I am dying right now take me to an ER anxiety. I told my doctor it was like my fight or flight response would not turn off. That’s when I found out about POTS. He started me on metoprolol tart. 25 mg 3 times a day. The first few days I felt like a normal person. No symptoms at all. Now the dizziness and sweating is slowly creeping back with any physical activity. I’ve only been taking the Metoprolol for 4 days, and it has helped a ton. I wonder if I will still continue to see improvements? Or maybe my body has adjusted to this dosage and I need to go higher? Along with the symptoms disappearing in the first few days, I noticed my resting heart rate was actually in the low to mid 70’s! Now it’s back up in the 90’s. I go back to my doctor tomorrow so I was just wondering if there were suggestions, advice, etc. Along with the medicine, he recommended compression socks, gluten free diet (I have frequent GI upset), and increased sodium intake. This has stuck at a rough time, I’m set to go to the beach in 5 days. So any advice there is welcomed as well. 

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

prehaps suggest a alternative drug to the doc , ge would need to contact the cardio to get it authorised , i heard ivabradine is a new drug thats supposed to be good at dealing with pots, also have you looked into midorine or florinef? both used of label for pots 😃 also avoid triggers if you can as will make you feel worse 😃

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.