Diagnosed with RA. Now on metatrexate. ..6 weekly for last 9 months.Not working for me. ideas??????

Posted , 4 users are following.

Main problem for me is sore muscles in arms and shoulders. No infusions for joints as no inflammation. Some pain in finger joints and sometimes sore bones in feet.

Getting out of the car or chair is sore on muscles in legs around knees.

age 66....12 stone weight. Active.

no other health problems.

taking solpadeine daily for pain relief.

Any comments welcome

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

OOOO' really feeling for you kierantully, I don't know what the meds are your taking..I'm in Australia so they might be called something else..I have Fibromyalgia and Sjorgrens Syndrone..have had it all over 22 types niw..I can manage my oaupin ok..I take Amitriptlyne 25 mg at 7pm every day..it works really well for me..after yrs of trual and error..and error.. Big problem with muscle spasms all over especially in legs..even feet and.arms sometimes..I'm not quite sure what people with RA take..even some with Fibro can't take it..it's just that Fibro has such differing symptoms what works for one doesn't necessarily work for others...do hope you get sorted soon..be blessed, have a lovely day..:-) xxxxwink
  • Posted

Hi

I am 37 and suffer from RA like you it my shoulder and arms, I have pins and neddle in arm particular at night wakens me from my sleep. 

I have naproxen for pain but it doe not really ease the pain.

Just been prescribed amitriptyline.

Driving can be painfull with knee and back area into my pelvis.

I feel that every time i o to the doctors they dont listen as i have no inflammation in my bloods.

• Posted

Just started to help with my sleep and pin and needles at night.

how long did it take you to notice it working??

• Posted

kierantully, I now take methotrexate (6 – 2.5mg tablets once a week) for rheumatoid psoriatic arthritis in my right knee. I have a prescription drug book that lists possible side effects:

“Possible Adverse Effects (unusual, unexpected and infrequent reactions)

If any of the following develop, consult your physician promptly for guidance.

Mild adverse effects:

Muscle pain-rare”  (some others are listed, but this seems to be the factor you are dealing with).

In another section, it mentions when methotrexate is used to treat RA, folic acid can minimize its toxicity. My Dr (in the U.S.) has me on a prescription strength of folic acid – 1mg/daily. If your Dr. hasn’t prescribed it, I would buy a folic acid supplement or ask your Dr.

Lisa, I also began taking naproxen again. I use to take it occasionally for knee pain before it turned into RA. I asked my Dr. for a new prescription and he wrote one for 500mg 2X’s a day. It seems to help alleviate what I call the “pirate peg leg syndrome”-my knee stiffens up if I stand in one place too long after walking some distance. My Dr. told me I have to keep my leg moving like stepping back and forth. Instead of doing that, I put all my weight of the other leg. Now back to naproxen, my prescription book lists drugs that may “increase the effects of methotrexate and enhance its toxicity.” Naproxen is listed in this class. When I got a prescription for naproxen and methotrexate, the pharmacist said not to take naproxen on the same day.

I also use to suffer from the pins and needles at night but it was in my HANDS. It turned out to be carpel tunnel syndrome.

You can go to the top of the patient page and highlight HOME. Under “Search patient.info” you can type in “methotrexate” and find other discussions about it.

As a side note to taking prescription drugs, I take 2 others daily. I have alarms set on my cell phone as a reminder to take them so I don’t forget. I was having trouble remembering what day to take methotrexate so I set a weekly alarm for it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.