Diagnosed with RA this morning - worried now.

Posted , 5 users are following.

Good evening all!

Having had various aches and pains over the last couple of months, I then subjected myself to 3 lots of blood tests arranged by my GP over a few weeks. These revealed a Serum C reactive protein level of 41 (down from 48) and  an RF level of 100 (normal is 6 apparently, according to my GP). He's referring me to the Mineral Hospital in Bath for further examination / treatment recommendations.

This is compunded by the fact that I am partially disabled anyway as a result of three bouts of Spinal Surgery just over 12 months ago (I have a metal plate covering C2 to C7).

My worry is this: I've spent the last hour or so reading the various posts in this Group, particularly those discussing side effects of the medications that have been prescribed to members of the Group.

I realise that different medications may have different effects on different people with varying degrees of RA, but how can I have confidence that what is being prescribed for me is not going to make me feel worse rather than better? I feel cr&p enough as it is! 

Sorry if I sound like a miserable old git (I'm 67 by the way), but this whole "thing" is getting me worried.

Any comments of reassurance (or otherwise) would be welcomed. 

If you have been - thanks for "listening" (Thanks to the late Alistair Cook for that quote)

Mike 

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hello mike. I have my first appointment with a rheumatologist this week and like you I am concerned about the different drugs. I have done a lot if research and read the posts on this forum and it appears that it's a bit of trial and error. There are a couple of drugs I am definitely not too keen on but I'm going with my list of questions and I would advise you to do the same. It's a difficult time and it hit me with a ton of bricks when I found out but I'm going to put my fIth in the doctor and research everything.
    • Posted

Sorry that should be faith in the doctor (predictive text)!
    • Posted

Thanks for your speedy response, Matron! I too am an avid "Googler" and I shall be researching also!
    • Posted

of course you have the right to say no to any medication, but quite often you can't get some until you have 'failed' at some others - sadly its not just a choice, but a process you have to go through. Having said that - the Drs are the ones who've studied the whole thing for years so they do have a bit of an idea where to start!
    • Posted

I won't be refusing the medication jo. Despite analgesics prescribed by my GP I'm in a lot of pain. I do know there's no quick fix. But I need help.
    • Posted

My GP has put me on Tramadol for the pain, but it only just takes "the edge" of the pain.

My main problem is the pain I get when trying to get up from a chair - and the tremor I get in my left leg when I do get to stand up. It can be quite disconcerting for anyone seeing me like this. Fortunately, the tremor only lasts for a few seconds, so I just "get on with it"!!

• Posted

I take Codeine, Naproxen and my GP added Nefopam to the pile! Nefopam isn't an opiate and is safe to take with other analgesics. If I sit for even a short period of time I have trouble walking because of the pain in my feet. I don't sleep because of the pain in my shoulder. Role on Wednesday when I see the rheumatologist. I know how you feel as well mike. It is a painful condition.
  • Posted

Hi Mike, 

Don't be too worried - loads of people find the first lot of medication they take works for them just fine. They are probably the ones who don't log on to forums like this though because they feel fine and have things under control! I think those of us on forums are often the ones who are having a bit of a struggle getting the balance right - and then its even more useful to get support and info from others. It is all confusing and annoying for sure, but equally there are good days (and for many good weeks, months and even years).

Basically there is no way of knowing whats going to work drug wise until they try - sorry !

Jo

• Posted

Thanks Jo - I realise that it may well be "trial and error", so I think I'll just have to rely on the professionalism of the Medics at the Mineral Hospital (when I get the appointment of course!)
  • Posted

Hi Mike42824 I was diagnosed when I was 53 I'm 65 now, RA affects people differently, some on here have had it a lot longer than me and are a lot worse than me, I myself would say I had it quite mildly as I am only on 7.5mg Methotrexate. However you may have read about flair ups and if you get them and you most likely will they can be excruciatingly painfull. with the correct medication and pain killers and anti inflamatories hopefully you will learn how to manage the enemy within.

Keep asking for advice on here if you're worried or concerned about anything we're all in the same boat and it's been helpfull to me.

Good Luck.

• Posted

Thanks John- it appears that I may have found a site where there are quite few "kindred spirits" - thank you all!!  
  • Posted

It's unlikely to make you feel worse and very likely to make you feel better.

But as you said, every body is different, so you can only experiment and trust your doctor...

it's true there are long term side affects to most drugs and we with RA have to take them continuously.

If you can manage it, after youre settled in your pharmaceuticals, try a good nutritionist to prescribe some supplements than might fortify the body in other ways aginst those possible side effects.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.