Diagnosed with shingles 2days ago

Posted , 7 users are following.

I am in my early 40's and noticed my skin was feeling burning to touch Sunday am, then the pain was strangely had by the evening. By Monday morning, I made a Dr.'s appt. Tuesday and was diagnosed without the little mosquito bites looking clusters yet appearing. However by Wednesday morning they appeared after which I got the anti videos 3x a day for 10days, which I am on now. I now have some small clusters of shingles popping up around my hip low back area and the pain is hellacious. I am alternating ibuprofen and Tylenol to take the edge off. I had some pretty acute stress the past month and over last weekend, which I'm sure played a part in my body's response. I've read quite a few posts and it all seems so sad and scary. I only pray I can make it thru because I start a clinical practicum over the summer. Thank you Merry for your really helpful responses to inform members. And I hope everyone here finds some peace in such a painful, irritating, individual process. ~Peace , Breezy7

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Helllo

That is how shingle works!  You have described it as it is!  I have had it now for 8 weeks!  The blisters will go in a week or so!  

The pain will be less but the itch I believe is the worse part!  It will also go in time!  It’s a process

Be well

• Posted

Dear Breezy,

While I am sorry you are experiencing this disease, I am glad you made the appointment with your physician, who correctly diagnosed it and started you on the antivirals immediately!

If the pain becomes intolerable, and it certainly can become worse by the second week, please consult with your physician and get on an Opioid immediately.

As you may have read on the forum, there are many other symptoms you may have or had, including: headache, chills and sweating, low grade fever, swollen lymph nodes, aches and pains, fatigue and exhaustion, and malaise.

I hope your clinical does not wear you out excessively, nor the activity too strenuous. Hopefully, your clinical this summer proves to be fun! Whatever is stressing you out, is there any way you de-stress or de-toxify your life? Sometimes, the answer is no, but sometimes, the answer can be yes. Just throwing it out there....

Best Wishes

Merry Juliana

• Posted

It could be very painful and sometimes it takes a while to be diagnosed because it takes time for the spots to appear.  I couldn’t sleep at night so took time off work to sleep in the daytime. Rest is the best medicine. Be patient you will get better!
  • Posted

How soon after recovering from shingles can I get a shingles vaccine?
  • Posted

Hi Breezy!  Hope you are feeling better now, as it has been a few days since your post.  The only advice I can given is to Try to rest as much as you can.  I had my first episode in July 2017 and my doctor recommended I drop out of nurse practitioner school because he thought the stress was too much with me working full time also.  I did but hope I am able to go back at some point.  Still with terrible fatigue.  
  • Posted

Hi Breezy 7,

I'm right in there with you - a week ago today I was at my Drs surgery complaining  about severe pain at my waist on the left hand side, a bruised sensation all over and flu like symptoms - I had been feeling unwell for over a week if i'm honest about it

I did a water sample and he said I was showing a water infection - gave me a course of antibiotics and told me to drink plenty of water - I spent another uncomfortable night.and when I got up the following morning I felt as though I had the flu or something aching all over, chills and I had a temperature.  I got into the shower as when I noticed the rash , raised red lumps all along m left side - across my tummy and across my back.  I rang the surgery and the Dr said it was obvious I had Shingles and prescribed me anti viral  and painkillers.

So that was7 days ago, the pain is tremendous, exhaustion is my middle name - I can honestly say I have never felt this ill.  - I have found some releif in the cold compresses, but the painkillers last for about an hour and have given me awful constipation - life is miserable. 

I feel for you my friend, and anyone else suffering with this awful virus.  Plenty of rest, wholesome food and understanding family and friends will get us through this - just hope it doesn't take too long.

Babs, x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.