Diagnosed with svt and its controlling my life. Should I do the ablation surgery?

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi!

I was wondering if any of you had figured out how to help manage your svt? I'm 23 and they finally captured an episode when I was wearing the event monitor a few months ago. I've tried taking beta blockers but I hate how they make me feel. My doctor mentioned the ablation surgery because svt has been completely controlling my life. I used to be very active playing multiple sports, volleyball, softball, running, going to the gym mutple times a week and now I'm terrified to do any of it because exercise tends to trigger my svt. Especially things like squatting or anything that has quick movements. I'm also a little skeptical of the surgery because I heard it can sometimes cause symptoms to be worse and since I'm only 23 I don't know if I want to risk that. Any advice would be great.

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Definitely go ahead with the ablation! Best decision I ever made. It was easy, painless, and effective. Changed my life!
  • Posted

hey! i was about the same age when i was diagnosed and also had the ablation however during the surgery they couldnt locate where it was kicking off from so couldnt fix it.

I have heard great success stories so i wouldn't be afraid as the alternative is suffering though it however of course you want to make an informed decision.

I also just wanted to check in on how you are doing because i am the same. i go to the gym and workout but defo things like squats make my heart rate shoot up then i have to take breaks and of course its very scary in the mean time.

I am slowly getting back into walking as i have been out of the gym for 2 months and hoping just general healthier activities will help.

Just wanted to see if you had any development and if anything has helped with your exercising predicament.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.