Diagnosed with TN1 recently. Pain has just started on other side of face.

Posted , 5 users are following.

I am a 23 year-old female who has been experiencing TN1 in my left side for about 5 years (it happened approx once a month up until a month ago when it suddenly started every day... 2/3 15 second attacks per day). I went to the doctor about a month ago and was diagnosed with TN1. Because I moved to France straight after the diagnosis, I haven't had a scan to determine the cause or taken any medicine.

Past 3 days, the pain has started on my right side. I've had the dull horrible ache that is characteristic of TN2 next to my eye and my cheek as well as the sudden shooting shocks of pain approx every 10 seconds, each time lasting a fraction of a second and also at dfferent parts of my face (cheek, forehead, jaw, under my ear). This lasted all day yesterday and the day before. Today it's somewhat bearable.

The doctor said it could be a blood vessel pressing on my nerve as it's on one side but now the other side has started... it's not possible it can be 2 blood vessels?! Is it recommended I go and see a neurologist? I have no idea what is going on. Any advice would be appreciated.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Yes, TN and Atypical TN can affect both sides of your face. I highly recommend that you see a neurologist or a neurosurgeon. They will probably schedule an MRI, but make sure the images are concentrated on the trigeminal nerves. A scan of your whole head can rule out some things, but it's useless to spot compression of nerves. I also recommend using Google and Youtube to learn more about the disease and treatment options.

• Posted

Go see a neurologist and get an MRI done...with contrast/dye.  Hopefully compressions will show...the MVD surgery is a good option.  Good luck
  • Posted

I am male living in Australia my age is 82 I am sending this as I had temporal Artritis

in my right tempal  which is painfull complant, syptoms  intemittent pain in tempal side of head scalp very tender to touch taking prednisolone surpressed  pain now reason for above have cut stort short but I also had the syptoms that I had on my right side go to the left tempal well as said thats not possible and would agree to that but it happen and as I type have presser achcs in both tempals 

Larry

• Posted

My diagnosis is one vessel pressing according to the mri. I have read of people having more than one.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.