Diagnosed with underactive thyroid but still feel exhausted despite taking 25g levothyroxine

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi

I was diagnosed with an underactive thyroid 6 months ago and started taking Levothyroxine but still don't feel any better. ive got my results and here are my blood results are:

T4 = 11.8

TSH = 1,61

can someone offer me any advice or guidance please?

Thank you

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

That's a very low dose. Some ppl need their TSH lower than yours...guess your TSH when first dxd wasn't that high. 25mcg is a starting dose. I was started on 100mcg bc my TSH was really high. Don't take your thyroid med. before they do testing or the results will make it look like you hv enough or too much.

• Posted

Ps. Guess your in tbe USA. You dont hv your Free T3.or Free T4 results or Total T3. Ask your doctor to do these.next time to get a better picture. You should call your doc and tell him how you feel. The numbers.do lie.in thyroid disease...unfortunately. Bet your doctor.wouldnt want to walk around feeling like you.do.
  • Posted

Hi rfk1974,

I have just been diagnosed with low thyroid and start taking 25g Levothyroxine this morning! My TSH level is currently 4.74. I had my right thyroid removed with a benign nodule 11 weeks ago. I would head back to the doctors and see what they say-If it not helping I'd imagine they would change your does. Im prob not of much help but its nice to know your not alone! Hope you are feeling better soon smile 

• Posted

Yeah you and alana how pretty low TSH. Years ago they wouldn't treat until over 10. They keep on lowering TSH..It's actually down to 3. But there are reasons bc of research why they are treating sooner. You wouldnt want it to get too high then it gets harder to treat bc ppl need higher doses and sometimes the TSH has to be suppressed just to get the T hormones up to normal. I didnt feel any dose just felt better with no side effects. Had to keep increasing. Better to nip it in the bud and maybe you can get off med one day.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.