Diagnosing UC

Posted , 3 users are following.

Over a month ago I went into hospital with severe abdominal pain, bloody diarrhea, etc. They did a CT and blood work and sounded pretty confident that I have UC with early-onset Crohn's due to the severe swelling of the colon and atypical pANCA (after all the research I went and did, I was pretty confident about this as well and was glad to understand why my digestion has always had trouble). Was given prednisone, mesalamine, metronizadole, painkillers, and was told to have a colonoscopy by the end of the week.

I wasn't able to get an appointment that week.... it took a month! I'm still on prednisone (hating it), but my initial results on the colonoscopy last week showed as normal. They took biopsies and I am waiting on those results.

I am feeling very frustrated that I had such a wait for the appointment and still being on medication, my symptoms are at bay. Has anyone else had a tough time getting a diagnosis? I really was looking forward to getting some answers but it seems I am back in a game of 'wait and see."

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I went through the phone book and picked a random Dr. (I love my Dr.) saw him, he diagnosed me, had a colonoscopy 3 days later and was put on medication. 
  • Posted

I had a colonoscopy yesterday after 6 weeks of becoming ill. Same as you on all those meds! 

The colonoscopy had to be abandoned as I wasn't clear enough. The whole experience was shocking. I went in the room and the porter was asked if he was going. He said no I think I'll stick around! He stated in and chatted to the the nurse who was supposed to be there fir me! I was left with the gas n air to do myself with no one to talk to. She then came and looked at the screen and said" ur still not flushed out. Have u been overindulging over Christmas! I said my appetite wasn't good so no I hadn't! I felt absolutely stupid! I was then wheeled out by the porter and put in recovery. The other nurse checked my obs and gave me a drink. She then said I could go. I then had to point out that I had a needle in my arm. Shocking! Hope u have a better experience than I did. Got to wait now fir another appointment with 4 sachets of citrafleet. 

I really don't want to go through all that again! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.