Diagnosis

Posted , 6 users are following.

did anyone have problems being diagnosed. I was sent home with a fib only to be told by another cardiologist I don't have it. Help

0 likes, 38 replies

38 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Please comment on most appropriate tests to diagnose AFIB ? There are a lot that I hear you all have had and I wonder if there are better tests than others . Some are pretty sophisticated and I am interested to know about them . Thanks all!
    • Posted

Ekg is the only way I know of to diagnose afib.

Sometimes u have to wear a continuous monitor to capture it.

• Posted

There is an implant Simon has had, but that is a surgical procedure.
    • Posted

What's that called.

the surgeon is going to do two more procedures, angiogram and then a what he called a study by putting electrodes in the heart, not looking forward to the later.

• Posted

DoNt know what the electrodes in heart are called. Simon had a "loop recorder" I believe. Seems extreme to me, but I don't know enough about it to comment.

• Posted

Not sure when that will, but not looking forward to it. Off to bed now speak soon
    • Posted

HI Deirdre, You mentioned earlier about seeing an electrophysiologist as opposed to just a cardiologist. My GP has sent me to see a cardiologist every time I have an AF issue (including once by ambulance) and I now checked with my cardio centre and there is no electrophysiologist. Did you have to specificlly ask to see an electrophysiologist?
    • Posted

you have to be in charge of your own health sometimes, especially with this condition. Drs usually are baffled by this condition and are not well read on the way it effects people. Peoples lives are changed by AF, and some like mine in a big way.

Read all you can about it, know your disease. 

Be proactive in requesting information from your doctor.

Go to appointments with a list of questions. and symptoms

Tell your Dr you want to see an electrophysiologist.

In most people the incidence of AF increases over time and becomes chronic.

It is a hard one to live with if you are/have been an active social person.

• Posted

You definitely need to seek out electrophisiologist as they specialize in hearts electrical system . I am sure you can find one .

It made all the difference to me !

Stay well , Didi

• Posted

Can be picked up when a Dr takes your BP or is doing a physical exam. Sometimes if you are not a persistent sufferer can take a while to diagnose.

Mine was easy as I passed out a few times and told the Dr my heart keeps stopping. smile He said I think you might have AF.

You also can wear a holster monitor if they are finding it difficult to pick up.

Usually if you are having an episode they can pick it up straight aw at.

• Posted

Hi Kate...yes mine pounds. Like a big floppy fish loose in my chest. Today at work 6 hours of heart rate 160+

Gave in and went home. Listened to some music had a nap.

Back in SR now.

Try not to focus on your heart beating,we are so used to it just beating along and we never notice it .Then ear get AF and now we feel every little beat twitch ache and pain.

Do something relaxing. Read or watch TV.

If you get really concerned you can always head off to you ER. I used to go every time I got it. Now I get it so often I just stay home and manage it myself.

You will know if you should go.Try not to stress.😊

• Posted

Yes that's good advice, I am going to enjoy life and my retirement. What will be will be and like you said I will know when to go to ER.

• Posted

Yes that's good advice, I am going to enjoy life and my retirement. What will be will be and like you said I will know when to go to ER.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.