Diagnosis

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi I'm worried about my son could he have hemcromatosis? He has been in a lot of pain over the last 2 years he has a diagnosis of widespread pain. On 2 occasions his serum ferritin levels a have come back abnormal once a year ago and now more recently he has also been given vita and folic acid by gp.

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

It's hard to know from the limited information. It's possible but he'd need a test to be sure. My pain was mainly in my shoulders and hands. Joint pain is a HH symptom but is not unique to that condition.

• Posted

What is his ferritin number?
    • Posted

Hi sorry his ferriten has been around 495 range 30-330 I know it's not hugely high but just wondering could this be haemochromatosis. He has also been given folic acid to take vit do and b12 on and off over the the last 2 years

• Posted

I think my ferritin started at about that.. but I had no symptoms. My dr did the genetic test and both parents carried the gene. I have now been going for phlebotomy's for over a year, my ferritin is now 10..but there are other numbers they look at.

Have the doctors do more tests, in fact take him to a hemothologist, that's who I go to.

• Posted

Thank you will do. Just wanted to understand a bit more so as not to be fobbed off.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.