Diagnosis

Posted , 4 users are following.

Can anyone tell me how to get my doctors to listen to me? I am convinced that I have endometriosis but no doctor will refer me or take me seriously. I have been in pain now for about 6 years and codeine doesn’t take it away. Any help will be appreciated 😊

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Abi! Where are you writing from?  Different states or countries may have different protocols.  But, I'm in the US and if my doctors aren't listening to me, I simply ask my insurance to assign me a new doctor and get a second opinion. Or a third. Or a fourth.

Or ask them to eliminate possible causes for your pain.  A referral to a GI doctor maybe for any bowel pain, or a referral to an internist for other testing.  

Definitely ask for imaging studies. Although they may not indicate Endometriosis (it doesn't always how up on imaging studies), it may confirm if something is out of whack or if cysts are present.

Also, keep a pain and food journal.  Note what you eat and when you have pain, where it hurts, and on a scale of 1 to 10 how much it hurts. It may help identify a pattern.  Which may help convince your doctors.

Always ask for another opinion.

Always.

Unfortunately, this disease (and many others for that matter) require self-advocacy and pushing ahead.  Good luck!! 

• Posted

I’m in the UK, thank you for your advice! I have been doing a food diary and pain diary, didn’t think about scaling it. Thank

You 😊

• Posted

Hi Abi,

I'm sorry to hear that your doctors aren't taking you seriously. I dealt with that with my primary doctor (she told me it was stress pain) and I had to get a little aggressive and demand a referral to an OB/GYN to get help. 

My advice is to continue to call different doctors. My cousin is nurse and she told me I had to stop being so nice and passive and get more aggressive. This completely goes against my personality, but that's honestly what got me to where I am. My GYN wanted me to wait out the pain and try birth control, even after a trip to the ER. I had to again say "No. I am in pain, and this is what I would like done" and they obliged. I'm not recommending to be rude, but if you are in pain you have the right to be heard and taken seriously.

Can you share more about your symptoms and why you think its endo? It's totally fine if you don't want to share I am just curious.

Best luck to you!

• Posted

Hi Mandy. Thank you for your reply. My symptoms vary but every day I have pain mostly on my left side of my abdomen. I get water infections regularly, which I know can be a symptom if it is effecting you bladder. I have been diagnosis with IBS which I have insisted I don’t have as I have changed my diet on a number of occasions. My periods can last up to one/two months (even though I’m on a pill that means I shouldn’t have any). The list goes on.. most of the symptoms I have read about when doing research I didn’t even think could be related to my pain. It is mad that doctors aren’t more up to update on diagnosing woman. 
  • Posted

What are you telling your Dr? Maybe you should see a different one if this Dr is not paying attention. My symptoms lined up with endo. N before that I had never even heard of it. 
    • Posted

I’ve been telling my doctor my symptoms but they honestly don’t seem interested. It’s really dishearting.  
  • Posted

Well my next advice would b to look for a different Dr. ask ur friends or family for recommendations. Hope everything works out. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.