Diagnosis

Posted , 15 users are following.

Please can anyone advise me about this disease. Diagnosed yesterday , total devastation cannot get my head around it at all or stop crying . My HP is wonderful and says it can be managed . Please please can someone tell me that there is a way forward . I also suffer with anxiety and that is through the roof at the moment . There must be something positive. Thank you xxxx

1 like, 119 replies

119 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hello Jane. I'm so sorry you have joined this forum. I have knowingly had LS for eight years after being misdiagnosed for many more. There is light at the end of the tunnel. However give yourself time to get used to the idea and don't be too hard on yourself. I think I cried for about two years, and felt so alone. And then I found this forum. We have all got your back as much as we can, virtually. And we all look after each other. Now I'm in a place where my routines fit into my life and I can forget for days at a time that I have it. I have a spray bottle and some moisturiser next to the toilet and that's all I need.

I have steroid in my arsenal too, use it to get things stable. Don't be afraid of it, it is your friend. They say steroid thins the skin, but LS thickens the skin, so it will help. It won't cause remission but it will stop it progressing. Then, when you are feeling a bit more under control physically, start experimenting. There is a wealth of knowledge on here and what we have learned is that we all react differently, what suits one person, doesn't suit another - just keep on experimenting until you find your balance. Even when you know what works for you, keep going, new ideas get posted all the time.

Read the thread 'An Experiment with Borax,' after three years of using it I am seeing un-fusing happen, and I was in a bad way to start with. The itching stopped instantly, after the first application, and there was some un-fusing, but the big changes have happened very gradually over a long time. I am seeing bits of myself appear that I thought were gone for ever.

Find three things that work and rotate them, a month each. If you only use one thing it will get less effective, you need to keep surprising LS. For example I don't use steroid now, but every 6 months or so I'll use it every day for a month and no borax. After every toilet visit I use a dilute spray of borax followed by a moisturiser - I rotate one month of avocado oil with calendula matricaria essential oil in, when my bottle is empty I'm going to try pure olive oil with which someone here has had good results, and maybe give the borax a rest for a few weeks. I overused coconut oil and got sensitive to it, but hope to be able to go back to it.

I limit sugar, but not gluten, but I do only eat sourdough which has a different chemical composition from processed bread. I found cutting it out had no effect at all on me. Nor did dairy, and now I've been diagnosed with osteoporosis, I'm not going to. I think the biggest positive change with diet is cutting out processed food, it's cheaper to cook from fresh, and tastier too. Processed food is full of things we really shouldn't be putting in our bodies. Beware, this goes for processed 'free from' foods too. Get in the habit of reading labels and if the lists are too long, chose something else. Bread shouldn't have a paragraph of ingredients - only flour, water, yeast and salt. Everything else is there to increase their profit, not your health.

So; read the threads, take advice, try out things people suggest, use steroid and eat less processed stuff. You WILL get there, It's a shock I know, but you WILL find your balance.

Good Luck

Bridge

• Posted

Thank you so much and thanks for having my back , I am in the uk is Borax Bicarbonate of Soda ? It’s is great to know I am not alone xxxxxx
    • Posted

HI Jane - no, Borax is a brand name for the trace mineral Boron, needed by the human body and used in many applications, one of which is as laundry soap extender. We can get Boron from supplements or from simply using the borax in our bathtub. I find the borax/baking soda (bicarb) mix to be very comforting myself. I also use the 1/8th teaspoon in each of my liters of water per day.  I'm an American age 72. But I've heard from others here that Borax is not available in the UK.  Back at ya soon with more info.

• Posted

Thank you Nancy, that is very kind of you,  its becoming a bit conflicting, with some people saying have baths, some people saying don't have baths, etc etc.  I have ordered Vitamin D3, someone has told me that the appearance of my vg will improve, with regular use of the cream and get into some kind of routine.  I have also ordered some cones, I don't have any problems with that area at the moment and my doctor took a swab yesterday and had no problem doing so, but I would like to retain what I have.  Any other advice really appreciated. xxxxx

• Posted

It can be confusing with many people telling you how to go about it and what to use....you need to try for yourself and also talk to your doctor about LS and treatment. You will need to try various creams, barriers, ointments, oils until you find one which feels comfortable with you and helping you get better. Not two women are the same when we are talking about LS, what suits one may not suit another.
    • Posted

Hi Dani , thank you for all your help  . I suppose you have to concentrate on keeping what’s left in the best condition and slowly trying to reclaim some of what’s gone , would that be a fair statement ? X
    • Posted

YES.....be on top of things, do not let LS get the upper hand.
    • Posted

Nancy, what brand do you use and how much do you use ratio wise for the spray bottle...
    • Posted

Hi Bridge, Did you have problems with theClob making things worse at times? I don’t use more than I am suppose to but it is draining a ton of fluids out of me. In the evening my bladder feels like it has increased pressure on it and again pee, pee, pee... I just started assertive treatment the end of March, I don’t think it’s working. My clitoris is now covered over, I am so red inside and am not able to do much because when I walk or do and activity I think it just whoops up the inflammation. Not trying too, I have lost about 12lbs over the last couple months probably due to inflammation and the lack of support in my life. How did your doctor prescribe the Clobetasol for you? Daily, twice a day and for how long? How long have you been working on this? I see you are doing the Borax, what strength and where did you apply it. I feel so dumb with this disease. Is the redness LS or the white patches which I don’t really see...   Need to do something, this does not seem to be slowing down....thank you 
  • Posted

Just scroll through this thread and read. It will make you feel a lot better.

Every day a new person posts their first “just diagnosed and panicking” post ... I did it six months ago.  You are not alone. 

Tons of great advice on here. Many people are able to manage it just fine with the prescribed topical treatment. Other home remedies are recommended based on personal experience for some. 

Sorry you had to join this club. <3

You’re going to be ok. 

• Posted

Thank you , how are you doing now with yours six months down the line ? Xx
  • Posted

Hi Jane, thanks for asking the question re borax, I'm in the UK and been following this site for a while now and would also like to know where you can source borax and if the stuff in the UK is the same pharmaceutical composition as in USA, hopefully someone will be able to help us.

?

• Posted

I do not know if the moderator will let me mention amazon...............
    • Posted

Hi Joe, just to let you and everyone else know, I got borax powder from The Soap Kitchen online, they are a Devon-based soap making company in the UK.
    • Posted

The UK stuff isn't the same thing at all. I bought some on the other site with many sellers; 20 Mule Team is the brand that many of the USA ladies on here seem to use. I ordered it from the USA and it arrived fine. Great to see that you can get some from here too.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.