Diagnosis for upper right abdominal pain

Posted , 5 users are following.

i have previously commented on a post regarding pain i have suffered in my upper right abdomen so thought i would update after an endoscopy today.

my pain had been going on for a number of years, slowly getting worse during each flare up moving round my side into my back and giving me very bad indigestion/reflux too. i had been sent for numerous ultrasounds to check gallbladder etc, had tests for h pylori bacteria and had several blood tests most recently in the last few months and all were normal. i had been prescribed omeprazole which made symptoms worse (and resulted in my gp sending me to hospital as i had such severe pains).

at my endoscopy they found stomach and oesophagus were normal but this test confirmed duodonitis and ive been referred back to my gp. the location would tie in with where i feel stabbing pains so makes sense. not sure what doc will recommend but hope its not more omeprazole!

anyway just thought id post this update as i know i liked to see the outcome of peoples tests and issues when i first found this site.

ps this site also helped me be prepared for my endoscopy. i went for throat spray only and no sedation. wasn't a particularly pleasant experience but nurses and consultant were all so nice and reassuring and it lasted only a few mins. i kept my eyes shut and focused on breathing!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Simply tell your doctor you can't take omeprazole and you will be given something else. I am amazed you were able to focus on your breathing. It was great you coped with your endoscopy. I didn't cope at all and had a very bad reaction to the sedation which I regretted agreeing to. I get into such a panic with any medical procedure that all I can think about is the pain and discomfort I am in and all coping mechanisms such as deep breathing go out the window.

• Posted

oh yeah i will definitely say no omeprazole! i think my fear of needles and the thought of getting an IV drip in my hand kept me more focused on getting through it by focusing on breathing than anything else if Im honest! 😃

• Posted

I don't know what doctors can really do for me at all if I was to need any future procedures because of my reactions and inability to cope.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.