Diagnosis Issues

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi,

Apologies in advance if this is a bit rambling. I was diagnosed with psoriasis about three years ago, have tried lots of medication, seeing a dermatologist and currently on ciclosporin. The psoriasis is quite stubborn and unwilling to leave me.

My main query is relating to joint issues and the diagnosis process. For the past few years I have suffered from hip bursitis, plantar fasciitis, costochondritis, ankle swelling, back pain (in the morning and improves when I move) and my hand keeps swelling. My GP has suggested it may be psoriatic arthritis or ankylosing spondylitis.

Just getting concerned that my GP may think I am a hypochondriac as nothing seems to add up. My blood tests show inflammation. I had an x-ray on my spine which looked normal. Xrays on my hands and feet were normal, ultrasound showed slight fluid on ankles and wrists. I also do not have the gene that they test for.

Are these conditions difficult to use identify with tests? I have been referred to a rheumatologist and my appointment is in late June, has taken nine months to come through but I understand the NHS is under pressure.

Off work at the moment, I have kept going for months but finally admitted defeat. My back is really painful and can't get out of bed without a twenty minute battle, involving lots of whinging, huffing and puffing. It eases up during the day but is really painful when driving. Also feeling really shattered, work takes most of my energy and feeling sad because my lovely kids and husband seem to end up with the worst of me and they deserve more.

Anyway, this is starting to resemble an essay but wondering if despite normal xrays it could still be a AS or PSA or am I losing my marbles?

Thank you in advance for any advice

2 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi I’m new to this so reply’s being monitored it should be up soon I’ve left you a big long reply. Good luck x
  • Posted

Thanks for this post. It is not an easy road to get a diagnosis.

I was recently diagnosed with gout after years of niggling joint pain, back pain, sacroiliac pain and a few knee surgeries. I was not convinced that gout was the right diagnosis although my uric acid levels seem to indicate that.

I recently had an outbreak of what seems like psoriasis on my feet , knees and hands and now I'm starting to put the pieces of the puzzle together.

I really thought I may have been going mad and possibly imagining the pain.

I also suffer with anxiety, depression, chronic fatigue joint pain plantar fasciitis , knee pain and all this wile still trying to pretend to the world that everything is fine. I am about to visit my GP again and present him with all the information I have recently acquired on PsA and hopefully get some answers. No one wants this disease but knowing WHAT it is will certainly be a good start.

I am a firm believer in diet and lifestyle being the first key to health , so often people are prescribed pills with little or zero advice on even the simplest adjustments that they can make themselves. Forums like this can have a positive effect.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.