Diagnosis:Oesophagitis/reflux

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi

Following a Gastroscopy last week,i have been diagnosed with mild oesophagitis/reflux.

The Report says that both stomach and duodenum were normal and tested negative for H.Pylori.No other abonomalities seen.

My question is how can i heal my osophegus and what steps can i take to recover as i am still experiencing a lump in throat and occasiobal hoarsness.

The consultant said to return to GP is hoarsness persists as may need to refer to ENT but said that they may suggest the hoarsness is caused by reflux.

I have restarted 20mg twice a day of omephrasole and 150mg twice a day of Ranitine so will see how that does.

How would i know if the oesophagitis is gone and not progressing to get worse?

I have cut back coffee to one a week but don;t feel that cutting out alchol,chocolate and tomatoes has made much difference!

Any views on the above would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

K

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

The job of the PPI is to heal your insides (thats the omeprazole) but it takes a long time. When I first started it was about 6 weeks before I noticed any real difference. I have been on the PPI for almost 10 yrs now. 

You will hear many people on this forum say that PPIs are bad but as long as you are being monitored that is fine. 

Remember that you can;t see the damage being done by the acid which is why I keep taking the PPI

• Posted

the only way to know for sure is to have an endoscopy and look.

Most reflux occurs at night when we are prone. You can combat this by elevating just the head of your bed 5-6 inches.

Avoid ingesting anything within two hours of laying down.

Avoid bending at the waist.

Avoid spicy hot foods.

Take aspirin, NSAIDs, and acetaminophen after eating.

Avoid clothes that bind the chest.

• Posted

why take the aspirin NSAIDs, and acetaminophen after eating ??

​The gastro never told me to take that only the usual GERD meds

• Posted

because aspirin, NSAIDs, and acetaminophen can cause gastrointestinal distress...I blew my stomach out and had 6 blood transfusions.

I did not say to add these to what you are taking....If you ever take aspirin, NSAIDs, or acetaminophen, protect your stomach and eat first.

• Posted

ah sorry i misunderstood...I thought u meant that if u take those meds after eating then your oesophagitis would be helped.

​i am only supposed to be taking panadol advance for any aches and pains .

I have GERD (esophagitis, chronic gastritis, barretts (now minimal))

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.