Diagnosis of Perthes Disease at age 51 male

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi I have been in pain in the left leg for most of my life but the last 3 years have been i would say unmanagable but we carry on,i had a change of doctor who decided to send me for a xray at the local hospital, it was possibly the best thing thats happened to me for a while, as it showed some deformity in the left hip with o/a i tried the steroid injections which lasted about 2 months decrease in pain but not a long lasting solution ,so now im on the 3 month waiting list to have a replacment hip and really dont know what to think ?? i have apart from the constant pain in the left hip been mostly free of medical problems( tonsilectomy) and thats my history.i guess im unsure and my children are worried about it.

1 like, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Excellent post to promote health and quality of life by preventing and controlling disease.
  • Posted

Good morning Gavin.  Perthes disease in children often leads to a deformity of the femoral head which in many cases leads to osteoarthritis of the hip, particularly when it is not diagnosed at the time.  Perthes actually is self limiting and by the time a child has finished growing it is no longer "active".  However when the hip is incongruent as the result of the deformity , total hip replacement is necessary.  Please try not to worry, although this is major surgery, success rates are very high asnd most people are out of bed the same day and walking the next.  Just think how good it will be to be pain free after all these years!  
    • Posted

Hi I appreciate the reply ,today i have been for a 2 hour information session to find out more and ask any questions i may have,it was certainly full of the right sort of information though i am still slightly worried i mean who wouldnt be ? i do so look forward to being i hope pain free its been a very longtime with constant pain and very little sleep and i have got to say slight depression ..
    • Posted

Hi Gavin yes, we all worry and that's normal and I have to say secondary depression is quite common with those suffering from chronic pain, I hope by now you have that new hip and a new lease of life smile
    • Posted

well i have been for my pre op and have a clean bill of health as far as that is concerned,my operation is scheduled for the 30th of march so unless they cancel it i should be on the road to a better quality of life soon,i would like to say thanks to those who have responded with helpful words and support,i shall let you know how it all turns out .

nervous but looking forward Gavin 

• Posted

That's great news!  Yes please do let us know how you get on, wishing you a very successful outcome!
  • Posted

I know the feeling of the pain, planning your trips to minimise the walking because it hurts so much, I have a friend who swears he was so glad at 32 to have a hip operation which I thought was pretty young, I am yet to have mine, I know it will come at some point.

One thing I was recommended the other day that made the pain lessen was Milk Thistle, it was almost instant and I could rotate and flex and walk further having taken it, a herbal remedy, its worth a try for you.

• Posted

Some people also use glucosamine, it's not tolerated by everyone, as it can cause tummy upset, but that and cod liver poil are all helpful with o/a.
  • Posted

Hi sorry to hear you have suffered all that time, unfortunately Perthes disease is a childhood disorder which often leaves the head of femur deformed long after it is over.  This leads to osteoarthritis of the hip in later life, I have to say to get to 55 before needing a THR is very good especially as you had no treatment a a child.

Treatments today are designed to reduce deformity and therefore reduce the risk of THR or delay it, new research may well make hip replacement a thing of the past and trials are taking place now using stem cells to grow a new hip.  Of course your family will worry, as they would with any parent undergoing surgery, but Hip replacements are commonplace and most patients have a whole new lease of life afterwards.  Feel free to contact me direct via Perthes Association and good luck with the new hip!

• Posted

well i have been for my pre op and have a clean bill of health as far as that is concerned,my operation is scheduled for the 30th of march so unless they cancel it i should be on the road to a better quality of life soon,i would like to say thanks to those who have responded with helpful words and support,i shall let you know how it all turns out .

nervous but looking forward Gavin 

• Posted

Good luck Gavin, not long now smile  I look forwrd to hearing that you have  a new lease of life along with your new hip.
  • Posted

Hi Gavin.  Like you I have been diagnosed in later life, I am a 64 year old female, diagnosed 18 months ago.  Also had pain in hip, knee and back and hated running, jumping sports at school.  I keep active by walking and take Pilates classes to help with posture.  However my gait is getting bad, the pain is worsening and I am worried about how this is affecting my good side.  I am seeing a consultant for the first time tomorrow for my first ever 'discussion' about Perthes and my husband is coming with me to make sure I am honest!biggrin.  Can't decide if I am pleased or worried about this, a bit of both I think.  I wish you all the very best for your operation and will watch your discussion with interest.
    • Posted

Hi Chris, I spend my life speaking to people about Perthes and once again I find myself explaining that you don't have Perthes now, you may well have had Perthes as a child, but adults don't have Perthes disease.  The most likely scenario is that you had Perthes as a child which left you with a deformed head of femur which is what is causing all the rpoblems.  Most children who have Perthes (particularly the undiagnosed) end up with a total hip replacement in their 50's so you have done very well indeed.  I hope your appointment tomorrow goes well.  smile
    • Posted

Thank you, I fully understand I don't have Perthes now and perhaps should have written that an x-ray 18 months ago showed that I had had undiagnosed Perthes which has left the head of my femur flat. I really appreciate your post as it shows all comments are taken seriously.  Thank you.
  • Posted

Hi Gavin, I have had my fingers crossed for you and hope all has gone well.  I have now seen an Orthopaedic Consultant for my first discussion after having had undiagnosed and untreated Perthes as a child, am now aged 64.  The x-ray showed a flattenend femur and a shortened limb which has caused arthritis in my hip, also staring in my other hip.  A new hip now needed so am feeling just the same way you did.  sadThe Consultant said it is up to me when I choose to have the surgery dependent on how the pain is affecting me and said he would see me next year unless I get back to him earlier.  I think it might be sooner rather than later.  Meanwhile you have my best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.