Diagnosis of Ulcerative Colitis

Posted , 8 users are following.

went back to clinic after 2weeks on Asocol. Consultant is fairly sure now that it is UC and not Crohns. He says it's mild and seems confident the mess will work to bring it into remission. I think there's a small improvement. I wanted to ask how long it was for Asocol to work for others and have you found any foods that aggravate it? Consultant says diet doesn't make much of a difference, but I thought I'd ask you all!  Thanks

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Have not found that altering  diet is positive or negative..bland or spicy...doesn’t matter...sometimes onions but not constant .. milk products..some days good -others not so good.  Dr. Says it’s not about diet... flair ups just happen!! I take an enema called enemacort -100% cortisone which has 99% cleared up my blood..6mp and balsalazide along with CBD tinture oil.. I’m now 95 % back to normal after an 8 month flair up! Feels great to feel normal again!
  • Posted

hi kathy ive been on asacol for 3 years with very mixed results it takes about 3/4 weeks to kick in properly i was prescribed 3 800 mg per day along with salofak foam i stopped the foam after 4 weeks and upped my asacol to 4 800 per day which i split  i take two in a morning and two at night thats my doing due to long waits between hospital appointments im very good now on this method
  • Posted

I was diagnosed as having uc. about 10 yrs I have never been on meds I am now taking IB guard after seeing it on tv and it is working very well.
  • Posted

I was diagnosed with UC on 31/01/18 - been on Asacol 800mg x 6 tablets a day ever since and not much has improved! This condition is so unbelievably frustrating, just waiting to get into remission for the first time...
    • Posted

My whole prescription is...

800mg Asacol tablets, 6 per day split into 2 sets of 3. 

1 Predsol enema daily

I've also had a course of Prednisolone tablets as follows: 

8 a day for a week, 7 a day for a week, 6 a day for a month, 5 a day for a week, 4 a day for a week, 3 a day for a week, e a day for a week and 1 a day for a week. Not much improvement over that time. 

As well as the above, they now want me to try a Mesalazine enema. 

On top of all this, I have a massive lump on my bum which I'm assuming is a haemorrhoid.

• Posted

Hey Jamie,

I am sorry to read your story; indeed it's a highly frustrating disease which non suffers find it hard to understand. 

You have a similar time-line and medication as me, I was diagnosed in early January and have been a course of Predsnisolone and Asacol/Mesalazine since. My dignosis was unsure if UC or Crohns.

You say not much has improved even during the 8 week pred course? What are you symptoms? Personally aside from the side effects and some off days; I have seen a marked improvement. Prior to the meds, I would be rushing to the loo up to 20 times a day.

These disease affects us all differently from what I read so maybe what works for some is not so good for others. How is your gastro, is he/she listening to your concerns?

Best of luck...really hope things get better for you. smile

Frank

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.