Dialysis and T1 diabetes

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi just had 1st appointment with UK Nephrologist and told the ave Life Exp on dialisis fot t1 diabetics is only 5 years. Very alarming.

Would welcome any input on this many thanks indeed

Terry

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

I am not a doctor and only know what I read.  Yes the average is stated to be 5 years.  Of course this alarming.  But you must consider a few things.  That is a general average.  It is not specific to a particular age group.  Age is a factor.  The general cause of death due to t1 and dialysis is sudden cardiac failure.  Some studies for example say a person in their 40's with t1 and dialysis the average is 8 years.  Now a person on dialysis in their 70's or 80's is likely not going to survive the full 5 year average, so they bring down the overall average.  For example just in general a person on dialysis without t1, the average is just 10 years.  As ALWAYS there are people who survive much longer.  We can all give examples of people who survive well beyond the average.  Also in the average are people who simply die due to other things, not even related to t1 and to dialysis.    To be blunt.  A person could go perhaps double the average or even further and you could be that person.  Or a person could fall way short of the average and not achieve the 5 years.  All any of us can do is follow the best medical advice we can get.    I know it sounds Pollyanna but not a single healthy person can predict their life span.  The proverbial you can get hit by a bus, or die from the flu, or car accident, or heart attack, etc.  All anyone can do is live each day as you enjoy, hope for the best and remember the end comes for all of us one time or another.  Knowing when it will likely happen based on an average of course makes it difficult to have a clear mind.

• Posted

Hi Rick thats great advice

Thanks for taking time to reply

Im 56 in the last 3 years my gfr has neen 47.45.44. 54.41 then last yr 35 .31 last month 35. Hopefully i can buy some time. I need to because i have 2 kids under 6 years

Thanks so much

Terry

• Posted

I would love to have numbers as good as yours.  I had my kidney removed on July 31st.  Since then my egfr has been 34, 35, 40, then 33, in that range.  Your numbers are better.  And yet your doctor talks of dialysis?  My understanding is that in general dialysis is not necessary until your egfr is 15 or less.  You are higher than that.  Now I have no experience understanding if having t1 will make that drop from your current numbers to 15 rapidly, but your numbers seem to be fluctuating in a steady range.  Remember egfr is primarily based upon creatinine levels.  these levels can fluctuate from one day to the next based upon not just kidney function, but for example if you drank a lot of water or too little.  My kidney doctor tells me as long as they remain on a fairly close fluctuations (say within 5 points of each other each time), and not a steady decline, that all is maintaining itself.
    • Posted

Hi Rick my gp sent to see a nephrologist becaose i had a dip from 45 to 36 and 31 b4 going upto 35. All in a 7month period. I suffeŕed an acute renal injury whilst in NCCU following Rta 3yrs ago

Additionally t1d life exp on dialysis is only 5yrs so they are being very with my gfr estimates.having said that my CrCl is 1.7

Your comments are very valid and i hope you progress well yourself as good as possible

Please make further comment if you would like to

Many thanks

Terry

• Posted

Terry, I'm surprised that you were not already seeing a kidney doctor when your gfr was at 45.  My Creatinine fluctuates.  Sometimes 1.7, most recently 1.9.  Actually all the kidney doctor really does is monitor my numbers but there is not much she can do to help.  Just to watch to not eat too much protein, stay hydrated, keep sodium intake low.  It is all just out of our hands.  But of course there is not a day that goes by that it is not on my mind.  Best to you too.  Keep us informed.  This is a great website to talk to others in your situation.

• Posted

Terry, 

I've done quite a lot of reading about life expectancy on dialysis since reading your initial post. I, too, am finding 5 years as the average life expectancy for persons on dialysis--but that is not those with diabetes only. Of course there is quite a wide range in life expectancy which is due primarily to how healthy the person is otherwise. And the primary cause of death for persons on dialysis is cardiovascular complications.

So with that in mind, it seems clear that for those of us with diabetes, we should do everything we can to keep our A1C in check and preserve our cardiovascular health. (This is in addition to doing our best to manage our CKD.)

By doing these things we give ourselves the best chance we can of living longer; and hopefully, living a better quality of live for whatever length of life we have left.

I agree with Rick's comments. It certainly can be challenging to focus on living each day rather than focusing on the future; how much time we have left; and what we have In front of us medically.

My mother had cancer and was ultimately diagnosed as terminally ill.  I took her back to her home town in upper state New York during the final few months of her life. I still have such vivid memories of her saying yo me as we took a walk, "life is so short. It seems like it was just yesterday when I graduated from high school; don't wish your life away."

So now I try to live without wishing my life away. I'm trying to focus on each day; enjoy each day. I realize that no one knows how long he or she will live. I just returned from speaking at a professional conference. (And yes, I do have to travel differently than before I had CLD. The anemia forces me to sleep later, take an afternoon nap, etc. But it is still possible to function effectively professionally, for which I'm most thankful!) while I was on this trip I couldn't help but wonder which other participants also had CKD--given the statistics it is likely many did. And how many other participants were battling chronic heart disease? Other chronic conditions? 

some time ago I made my mind up that my CKD would not define me; I was going to learn to live with it as well as possible. As it has progressed this commitment has not always been easy to keep, but I remain resolved.

This is, among other things, a major mental battle. 

Marj

• Posted

Well written.  Seldom do I find myself in total agreement with all posts, but yours was 100%.  I fight the mental battle every day.  I like to think I win most days, but some days I do lose.  But I also learned from my parents.  They both worked extremely hard their entire lives.  Physical labor for my father.  I can not remember a complaint.  They retired at the age of 70 (could not afford to do so earlier).  Then my father developed heart problems, inclusive of a triple bypass at the age of 78 (almost unheard of).  His days became siting on the porch.  My mother developed breast cancer, fought that battle for 6 years.  It appeared won.  Then she developed dementia at 75.  I quit my job to care for them, especially my mother who needed constant supervision and help with every task, to even eat.  Then her breast cancer came back after 4 years to other parts of her body.  We tried nursing homes it became such a burden, but each time I removed them.  I could not stand to visit an see them sitting in the halls in wheelchairs, unattended.  My mother lived until 86, my father 93.  Hard work gave them strong constitutions.  My point????  Longevity is not the key to life.  You are making the best of things and living life to the fullest that your challenges allow.  For many of us with this condition our lives will be cut shorter than we anticipated, but truly does any of us know at say 40, how much time we have?  No.  For me it is not the knowing that I will likely die younger than in my 80's as so many live now, it is having the knowledge of the likelihood of when I will die that is the burden.  I used to life when people would say it is the quality of life that matters and not the quantity.  But now I say that to myself every day.

• Posted

Hi Rick excellent advice and perspective

Cheers

Terru

2nd visit to Nephr in 3 months time

• Posted

Rick,

I find it most helpful to participate in this forum; interact with others experiencing similar challenges. It is helpful to hear others' stories.

Our medical teams are critical as far as monitoring our medical needs and helping us learn how to take care of ourselves. And they are as supportive as possible for people who have not experienced end Stage renal disease.

But the emotional toll this creates is, I am convinced, something they can't really understand. That's where patient support groups, online forums, and so forth are invaluable🐶

We come from all walks of life, all countries, and all life circumstances. But we share this universal burden--CKD. There is nothing we can't share with one another because we each understand. And we each care. So this forum and other patient support groups provide a safe space for those with end Stage CKD to raise questions, share thoughts and frustrations, and provide support and ideas.

It is truly a gift for those of us with CKD. Thank you for posting!

Marj

• Posted

Terry ,I too am type 1 diabetic. I was told in 2007 that by Feb 2008 I would be on dialysis. My kidney function was at 14%. Ten years later I am still not on dialysis and my function fluctates between 16-18%.Listen to your dietitian and push yourself. Have a positive mental attitude. By the way l am the same age as you. Had type 1 for 28 years and ckd for 15 years. Good luck.

• Posted

Thank you so much for sharing your inspirational story. I am so pleased to have read it.

Porky whats your location

Many thanks indeed

Terry

• Posted

I live in Hull, England. Where do you come from Terry? Believe me Terry it is hard (as Marj said).But the next time you hear your children crying with laughter, sit back and think, YES!! This is hard work ,but wow its worth it.
    • Posted

Interesting im just up the road in Scarborough. Originally from Wakefield

I havnt been asked to change diet but i have done anyway. My very young children are my whole life i will do anything to watch them grow up.

Maybe we can meet up sometime

Let me know

Cheers

Terry

• Posted

Definately Terry. I work 5 days a week.but that would be great.Which hospital do you go to?
    • Posted

Just had 1st renal apptmnt at Scarborough hosp which is part of York Trust.

I can no longer work or drive but have a direct train to Hull

Just let me know a good day that fits in with you

2 minds are better than 1

Let me know and we can make an arrangement

Terry

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.