Dialysis- in home or hospital? Why?

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi there, 

I'm interested in learning about people's thoughts/experiences when choosing whether to have dialysis treatments done in-home, in a center/hospital. 

What sort of things did you consider before making that choice? Was it because of ineligibility? Doctor recommendation? ?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

My team gave the types and told me to research both, arranged a visit to the haemo unit and let me speak to patients who were willing to share their expirence.  They left the choice up to me, however they do favour home where possible.  They knew I worked and had a family but no pressure was put on me to do home they just offered their opinion that home may be best but made it clear if what ever I chose didn't suit me I could always swop no questions asked. Home suited me and I did it for nearly 2 years with no issues and I had 24 hour support so I was never on my own.  Some people can't physically do home for example if they have had certain surgery on their stomachs that would be a case of the choice has been taken away and they would have to go to hospital. Hope this helps.

• Posted

Hi Sam

I myself are pre hemo D. They gave me the choice of home or hospital. I have chosen hospital during the day when I little one is at school.

3years ago I was training on how to do home dyalisis for my mother. It is quite a long process and most of the time you will need a family member who is will to train wil you ( well up in Scotland anyways ) I found it quite stressful there is a lot to it. The machine the needles, but please bear in mine this is just my outlook on it all.

About 2mth in to our training my mother revived a kidney. Am happy to say 3year doe the line is till working away.

So when it came to my turn to decide what I was wanting I chose hospital. It all down to what will suit your family day to day life.

Home was just not an option for myself with a 6year only.

Hope iv helped a little

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.