Diarrhea

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone,

Just found this forum. I am a 28 year old male.

Doctor diagnosed with me with shingles on the 22nd December, since the 23rd December, I have suffered from terrible Diarrhea since. I was just wondering how long people have experienced this for previously? And is it normal for it to be pretty much all of the day?

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Martin. Are you taking anti viral meds? These can cause stomach probs in some people. I had upset stomach, fluey symptoms and bad headache a couple of weeks before the rash started on my shoulder/upper arm, hand and scalp. Read the leaflet which came with your tablets if you are taking them. Shingles seems to affect people differently as I'm sure others will tell you on this forum. Still holidays here, (UK), so you might not get too many replies for a day or two. You're young so hopefully will make a fairly quick recovery unless you have an auto immune illness. If you have you probably know this already. See your Doc again if you were not prescribed anti virals. Best wishes, Ellie  confused
  • Posted

PS. I didn't have the diarrhea at the same time as shingles but if you're worried you should ask a doctor or dial 111 if in UK. Not sure about US though.
    • Posted

I think I will call 111.

My doctors haven't prescribed me anything currently. Just explained to re contact them if need to make abort appointment.

• Posted

Yes, do call 111. They can give you advice or even make an appointment for you at a walkin centre if you have one near you. If not they can advise whether to go to A&E or see your GP. If you do go to GP, tell reception you've been referred by 111 and they can't then apparently refuse an appointment same day. Don't forget it's still hols so surgeries may not be open full time or at all Monday!Good luck. Ellie UK
  • Posted

Hi Martin,

You should have been prescribed antivirals as soon as you were diagnosed with shingles, within 3 days of the appearance of the rash to decrease the intensity of the disease.

Diarrhea is not a sign of shingles, and unless you are taking other medication to help with the pain, I can't explain why you should have that as well.

If you are having significant pain, when you return to the physician's office tomorrow regarding the diarrhea, as it seems to be quite severe, I would ask for something for the pain, as well.

I am a nurse practitioner in the States and have had Herpes Zoster / Shingles in my right ear every three to five weeks for the last 19 years.

I am truly sorry for your suffering from this excruciating disease, especially over the holidays.

Best Wishes,

Merry Juliana

• Posted

Hi, I had what I would consider a very mild dose of shingles (having seen how awful it can be, I got off lightly ) this was a few weeks ago. A patch on the back of my leg. I was diagnosed by the doctor and was off work just over a week. I did not experience any diahorrea. Hope you feel better soon. Ps you should be on meds to deal with the nerve damage. Needs to be started within 72 hours. (That's what my doc told me) hope your ok xx
  • Posted

Hello Martin, I had this problem from the meds, but also sometimes with the onset of shingles rash. I have to agree with other patients about talking with GP. I did find that over the counter products helped, but check with pharmacists about taking them to make sure they are compatible with any other meds. Pray you are able to find some relief. Having shingles is bad enough. I also have recurring shingles as Merry Juliana

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.