Diarrhea after gallbladder removal?

Posted , 77 users are following.

I had my gallbladder removed January 25th. Been ok... i didn't really eat the first 3 days. Now that I'm eating 'normally' I'm having some stomach issues still after eating, I get diarrhea with in minutes of finishing a meal, I'm always hungry after! I feel like my food goes right through me... it's depressing that I can't even go out to dinner with my family at a restaurant because I have to run to the bathroom after I eat. Forget about car rides! I have to stop a gas stations sometimes to relive myself. It's so embarrassing! Not to mention inconvenient! Someone help! Is anyone else experiencing this!

8 likes, 182 replies

182 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

There are diets you can try.  The main thing is to stick to low fat or healthy fats.  Restaurants use the cheapest fats, and they're bound to upset your stomach.  Try to use FODMAP foods.  The list is available on line. Frequent small meals.

If you continue to have diarrhea after meals, you may have bile salt malobsorption.  If you do, you will have yellow liquid surrounding incompletely formed stools.  The yellow liquid is bile, and is being released directly into your small intestine during digestion.  Your gallbladder acted as a valve between your liver and your small intestine to store and release the bile.  The bile is extremely caustic and irritating.  

Don't try to add bile salts or digestive enzymes to your body.  It will only make matters worse.  You're already producing too much bile!

There are medications that your doctor can prescribe to help with this, but try to wait a bit and see if things will settle.  If you want more info, send me a private message.  Take care! xx 

• Posted

Looking at your post had my gallbladder out about15 year's ago the diarrhoea getting worse,smells disgusting and have to be very careful when I go out any suggestions jeniex

• Posted

Hi Jenie,

Sorry that this is happening to you.  There is a medication that can be prescribed for you.  It's called cholestyramine in the US.  In the UK I think it's called questran.

You may need to go to a gastroenterologist for tests.  I know that's a pain, but greasy, foul smelling stools could be pancreatic insufficiency, too.  

Best of luck to you.  Please let me know how you get on! 

• Posted

I am 2 weeks post and the diarrhea is constant and every day no matter what i eat, i have been avoiding fatty foods and trying to stay consistent with what i have been eating, but the diarrhea continues  
    • Posted

Tell your doctor there's meds they can give you, unfortunately I can't tolerate them and there side effects, I had my gallbladder out in December have had diarreah ever since and urgent at times, I now use caltrate you can get it most stores 600 +D 3 plus minerals this has helped me and i also take metamucil keeps me from getting constipated i only take a half tablet with meals it has helped me ,it binds the diarreah and helps for better poopage call doc first but most of the meds they can give you are hard on your system hope it helps

• Posted

Hi Travis, the med I take is cholestyramine it's a generic form of the med that the doctor can prescribe.  You're having diarrhea because bile is dripping constantly from your liver into your small intestine at night.  Some people experience side effects from it, but it's easy to experiment with as to whether you take more or less of it.  

• Posted

Hi Lynda 

I have been on questran for 12 months and it worked one sachet Each morning I had lost a lot of weight with questran I could eat a normal

Diet and I put on weight but it has stopped working 

So I’m taking Imodium

When it happens do u have any suggestion please my GB was removed in 2014 

I’ve had my stools checked bloods 

Both scopes due again in a few months no can help I’m

I’m in Australia thank you 

• Posted

Sorry to learn it has stopped working for you.  Sometimes, I take immodium, too.  Emotions, etc. can affect my intestines.  I suggest that you try taking your question before bed time.  This is because bile drips into your small intestine all night while you sleep.  That means that in the morning you're already predisposed to have diarrhea.  Try taking it at night.  If it doesn't work well, then try taking it in the morning and in the evening.  I have also permanently modified my diet, there are some things I just can't eat.  Hope this helps. xx 

• Posted

Hi. I hope this finds you, I see your post was from 5 months ago. I had my gallbladder out Jan 25 this year, so about 7 weeks ago. I ha e not had any real problems. I have been a little cautious and used some enzymes or ox bile supplement when eating something I thought might be a trouble maker. Something set me off the other day. Now I am getting diarreaha after eating and miserable between meals. I noticed your post said you tablet a half a tab of metamucil and caltrate. I was hoping for more info on this, I'm interested in trying. But, I can't find metamucil tablets that can be broke in half. I only find capsules or the powder. Also, do you take a caltrate with each meal too? It looks like metamucil is with each meal. Thanks! Tina

• Posted

I hope this helps. The last thing you need is to take ox bile or enzymes!  Your body is already struggling to normalize bile production--you don't need to add any more bile.  And if you didn't need enzymes before you certainly don't need enzymes now.

Those who feel they need ox bile usually suffer from constipation--and that's not the care with you.  xx

• Posted

I use metamucil powder once a day and caltrate tablets i break in half and take a half with a meal seems to help me best hope it works for you caltrate tablets first ingredient should be calcium carbonate, front label says 600+d plus minerals kind of purple label, calcium works as a binder for the bile helps me alot
    • Posted

Thanks for your response! I am going to get this and try it!! 🙂 T.

• Posted

As a nurse I have to say it scares me when you say “diarrhea getting worse, smells disgustinf” because there is a bacteria that caused “clostridium difficult or c-diff”. It is extremely contagious and usually picked up in places where there are a lot of people. I would ask had your diarrhea gone away and hen came back? Or has it been like this the entire time? I think either way I would talk to my doctor. I just had mine out a little more than a week ago and must say I’m not moving too far from the bathroom for now. Hopefully that changes
    • Posted

I just want to share that calcium does work well by binding its waste to any liquid, however, be very careful. I developed some heart problems(calcium buildups) after a while of use. 
  • Posted

Agree with other comments, watch what you eat. Drs may say you can eat everything you like, however, the human body has its own ideas, some can , many cannot. My hospital advised eating low fat for 2 weeks post op, while the liver adjusts to the amount of bile now needed. Or you will not digest the fat and it passes through, causing pain.

?I have also read that it can take several months for the body to adapt and it is best not to over stress your liver by eating rich, fatty or overly spicy foods. I'm 6 week post op and have to eat carefully still as I have various other conditions that affect my digestion and I have found that eating little and often, light foods at present is the best, in this way things have been OK. I have had a couple of meals out and stuck to the same principles.

?As others have said, if things do not improve, go back to your doctor for further help, but it is early days so hopefully things will turn around for you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.