diarrhea almost every day for 3 years?

Posted , 47 users are following.

For the past 3 years I have been having some problems with my stomach. I have been having diarrhea every day multiple times to every other day. It is mainly triggered if I eat anything or do something simple like taking a walk or going outside. A lot of times when I eat, my stomach will get a lot of pain and I will have diarrhea in the middle of eating or shortly after. When it first started, it only happened occasionally, but lately, I have been having diarrhea several times a day. It might sound strange, but I noticed when the weather is bad outside, like cold or rainy, it will make my symptoms worse. Rarely, I won't have diarrhea for 1-2 days and I consider it a miracle. It really is stressful and sad since if I go anywhere, I have to immediately search for the nearest bathroom to feel safe. I can't go out to eat somewhere since I will always have diarrhea and it's embarrasing to always leave every time during the meal. Sometimes I can't barely even eat a few bites of food at home before I have to go to the bathroom.

I heard it's not normal to have diarrhea so much, so it really worries me. I love walking outside and even jogging, but I'm terrified do those things because I know something can go wrong with my stomach. I've been taking a medicine called metamucil. It does help a little, but not nearly as much as I need it too. I talked to my doctor about my problem and he recommended I get a Endoscopy, so I've been waiting a while for the hospital to respond. It is driving me crazy having to wait so long since I wish this problem could get fixed and I could have a clear diagnoses of what's wrong with me. I am really scared and worried. I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts or opinions to what could be wrong with me since I've been trying to figure it out for years. I have been wondering if I could have irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) since a lot of my symptoms sound similar, but I'm not sure. Also I was wondering if anyone knows what kind of Endoscopy I would need. Do you think I would need a Colonoscope   inserted through the anus to examine the colon (bowel) or a Gastroscope, inserted down the throat to the oesophagus to examine the stomach. I just really want to know if the camera will be going through my mouth or anus and is the problem could be with my colon, bowls, stomach, or digestion.

7 likes, 96 replies

96 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi tigerbolt,

I went through a similar situation about 3 months ago. My sister in Vancouver made a sugestion. She sugested that I try Bentonite Clay pills. They worked immediately. Now I have solid poop. You can do a search on the Internet to try and find a supplier. I drink a lot of coffee which acts as a laxative which is the root cause of my diahrea. Now whenever I have a cup of coffee, I take a Bentonite Clay pill. No more diahrea. See if you can find some pills on the Net. They work wonders.

Mike also known as mjmdesk

• Posted

Hey mjmdesk,

The Clay pills sound really interesting! Thank you so much for recommending something that could help. I've tried charcoal and imodium pills, but they haven't helped me much. They sometimes do help lessen the effects, but not completely and not always. The problem is I live in the Netherlands, so I'm not sure if we have Clay pills here. It's crazy, but even drinking some water can set my stomach off! I will search for clay pills, thank you!

• Posted

Tigerbolt and to others, thanx for sharing your experiences! I really appreciate reading stuff like this, that way i know that some people besides me experiencing stuff like this, that i am not alone. Although, i might sat Tigerbolt, such a young age that you've experiencing this kind of problem.

I am 32 male from US, Cali and i am quite of a big worrier so little stuff happening health and such just kinda of scares me smile Well my story is like i always have a normal bm every morning i i wake up, soft stool and sometimes after several minutes it could be followed by a sortha loose stool. I could be having 1 normal bm in a week or less. Then all of a sudden diarrhea again will attack me minimum of 3trips a day will last for a day or two. So i don't know if i have something serious? just kinda worried. By the way guys thanks again for sharing your experiences! I know it's kinda weird talking about this to people you don't even know smile but i really appreciate it! smile

• Posted

It really is wonderful that everyone is sharing their experiences. It's nice to know we're not alone and that we can realte to other people. A lot of times I feel like a freak since no one else I know has this problem and I have to live my life revolving around a tiolet. It's really inconvient since I've really missed out on a lot of fun activies due to my stomach. I love fishing with my husband, but I'm terrified to go to the lake to fish for even a few hours since I can't predict what my stomach will do. I also feel like I'm such a inconvience for others since they have to stop what there doing to find a bathroom and I'm always so embarrased to have this problem. It really is horrible to experience this problem at such a young age. It happened when I was only 17 and I couldn't understand why since I never had this issue before.

That's awesome you are from California!! I live in California all my life, but moved away a year in a half ago to be with my husband in the Netherlands! I really do miss the weather there though. I also am a big worry wart, so I'm terrfied something serious is wrong with me. It really does suck that the diarrhea sticks so suddenly and you never know when. It's such a inconvience to live like that and constanty worry. sad But yeah unfortunately there really is no way to tell 100% what you have or what's wrong unless you go to a doctor and get a colonosophy. Believe me, I've tried any way but that ha ha. :P

• Posted

Have you guys experienced having narrow pencil like stools in the morning?
    • Posted

Yes. I have jeff. I work 13 hour days. I thought it was the water. So. I started buying water. No change. Now its becoming an issue at work going to the restroom so many times in a day. Issues. Trying the Depends to see if it will absorb the odor for when i cant get in the restroom or for when the time does not permit me to go at the moment.
  • Posted

Tigerblot, would you pls let us know what your colonoscopy result is? smile

I have a question to all of you guys commented on this thread. Have you ever had like yellow mucus along with your diarrhea? And did it sometime wake you up at night and go to the restroom?

• Posted

I sure will :D I have the colonoscopy May 6th and results May 11! I'm getting nervous because it's getting closer.

Haven't had yellow mucus though. But I have woken up at night to use the bathroom because it was diarrhea.

• Posted

Thanks again for the respond smile

So how you feeling now? If you're having diarrhea everyday, how do you manage to eat? Do you have appetite to eat? Did you lose a lot of weight?

• Posted

Your welcome :D

I'm doing alright besides the diarrhea every day ha ha. It's sad because it's been kind of a habit for me now that I've had this problem so long, so I expect it to happen every day and sometimes multiple times a day. It is very inconvient though. I've found that eating small and light meals through out the day does help a lot. smile So for breakfast I will have oatmeal, 2 hours later a apple, a little while later a sandwhich, ect. My biggest meal is dinner which is no problem since I'm at home and the bathroom is close by. Really my problem isn't primarly caused by eating, it's also now evolved to if I drink something or just for no reason. It also happens if I'm nervous or worried, but it's always been like that. Too be honest, I this problem didn't cause me to lose weight all the years I've had it. But this last year I've really decided to lose weight and get healthy for myself. So I've been exercising and losing weight. :D I was walking outside which I absolutely loved, but I wasn't able to do that since I had to rush back to the house 15-20 minutes later to go to the bathroom which sucked! But a month ago I signed up for a gym and have been using the elliptical 5 times a week for 1 hour which I really enjoy. Since exercising in doors rather than outside, my stomach has improved a lot which is great! I can't figure out why my stomach is better in doors rather than outside. It seems like the temperature and climate of being out door really set it off and make it worse. It's not the exercise that effects anything since I was exercising outdoors and in doors. It helps with my problem a lot to not be outside and there is a bathroom onsite. But I do admit, it absolutely sucks having to change my whole life due to my stomach. I can't even go to the movies with my husband without this issue which sucks. I have been taking imodium before I go which helps a bit.

• Posted

it's nice to know that you are doing fine besides the D. Good doing exercise and trying to be fit. smile I really appreciate you telling your side of story smile At least doing all those stuff kinda helps you to cope up with it. I hope you don't mind if i ask the consistency of your stool everyday. Is it like very soft and mushy? Or is it always watery? So you still have bm 3 or more times a day? How often do you experience diarrhea that wakes you up in middle of the night?

I hope i'm not being nosy about this stuff.

• Posted

I hope your doing well also. Yeah it really is great that I'm exercising and I actually enjoy it :D! I don't mind telling you about my experience, especially since other people can relate and hopefully it will help them. I wouldn't really say I'm coping with my issue, more like tolerating it. It's unfortuantely something I have to live with sad I just hope the doctor will be able to help me and give me a answer. My stool constancy is mostly watery and chunky. Sometimes it's soft and other times it is watery. I'm not sure what causes the difference, but it's always different every time I go ha ha. Everyday I've been going at least 2 times a day. Sometimes more, it really just depends. Yesterday I only went once, so I'm pretty happy about that. smile But that doesn't happen too often. I'm pretty lucky and I rarely get waking up in the middle of the night to rush to the bathroom. It has happened several times, but not too often. Also that's alright, I don't think your noisy at all. smile It actually is nice to talk to someone about my problem that can relate and that I know won't judge me. It's really difficult to deal with this problem alone and not have anyone to talk too.
    • Posted

Hello again smile well 2-3times of bm per day is still considered normal, unless it's watery most of the time then is not normal anymore. If there is solid from your 2-3bm then i don't think its considered diarrhea. It could be normal some people poop right after they eat but then not everytime they swallow or drink something. What do you mean by chunky? Meaning like in a shape of a ball? And is it always watery even starting bm of your day or starting from 2nd bm,3rd and so on? If so then yea that is a big concern specially if accompanied by other symptoms like abdominal pains, vomiting, nausea etc. do you have abdominal pains associated with your bm's?
    • Posted

And i would like add another question? What is the color of your stool/diarrhea? Is it sometimes yellow diarrhea?
    • Posted

Hey Jeff,

Sorry for the late response, I've been so busy! It isn't considered normal for me to have this, especially when it's always diarrhea. Sometimes it's chunky because it has some of the food I've eaten in it. Other times it's just watery and loose. I haven't thought about if it was runny or chunky at a certain time, so I'm not sure. Well before I have to "go", my stomach gets a intense burning pain and it's very painful. I can also barely hold my diarrhea. It's like I have to go right that second and I can't wait. After I go to the bathroom, the intense burning pain goes away shortly after. Sometimes last a bit longer and are more painful. But yeah it is pretty strange. Also my diarrhea is yellow sometimes yes. I'm so nervous since my colonosophy is on Wednesday!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.