Diarrhea for 3 weeks. Stool sample showed no food poisoning

Posted , 5 users are following.

Myself and my boyfriend went on holiday to Egypt and whilst there, we both became ill with diarrhea, cramps, nausea and general unwellness. When we returned home we visited the health centre who diagnosed us with gastroentitis and gave us bottles to collect a stool sample to test for salmonella, giardia and cryptosprodium. I took them to my doctors and they were tested and came back negative. The symptoms did not seem to improve so i returned to my GP (had the symptoms for 2 weeks at this point). They took my temperature which was 37.4 and told me as there was no blood in my poo they werent concerened and to go back if i still have it in 2 weeks (a months total). i have now had it for 3 weeks and feel at such a loss. I have returned to work out of boredom and been taking imodium as advised by the doc but i feel soooo drained after going to the toilet.

Extra info - the poo mixes between a watery consistency to water/a kind of shape but it very different to my normal poo. Poo is also usually dark brown in colour and this is an orangey light brown almost?

Does anyone have any advice as to what it could be or what i can do to help other than keep hydrated?

thank you

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Try consuming high quality probiotics. Although it has taken so long I believe you will be alright and there is nothing to worry about. Try psyllium husk and other natural remedies. Beware of Hpylori even if you are found positive do not take the antibiotics treatment at this time, you are very weak and those antibiotics are extremely harsh on the system.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.