Diarrhea for three months now..next step is colonoscopy but I'm scared to have it done

Posted , 8 users are following.

Scared of the prep the procedure and most of all being sedated never been sedated or put to sleep before

0 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

My results were straight away in that he told me and then sent a letter to my GP. My first one I ever had after I had really alarming symptoms was like a running commentary but luckily it was all nothing much. Curiously the clear out from the prep seemed to cure the problem...
    • Posted

I've heard quite a few people say they think the prep actually solved their problem....that's interesting glad yours was nothing much to worry about that's always great news !

• Posted

I was extremely nervous for weeks before the procedure and suffer from anxiety as it is.

The prep isn't that bad just hold your nose and drink slowly as the it starts to make you gag after a while. Also managing hunger is annoying but once you get past a certain point it's bearable.

Tip: Use toilet wipes instead of paper (Andrex Aloe Vera and Vaseline in between!) and try and find the funny side of it all!

On the day, I refused sedation as I don't like the idea of it but was offered Entonox (gas and air) which I self administered when needed/was in total control of.

The procedure was uncomfortable and in some places v painful but only as it's going in and around. On the way out its not bad at all. Gas and Air was effective but I barely used it. Its over fairly quickly so grin and bear it, it's worth finding out what's wrong in the long run. Good luck you'll be fine X

• Posted

Thank you ...I'm really hoping its not near as bad as I've imagined its gonna be

• Posted

I had the worst experience anybody could ever have with bowel prep and I even now say it's not that bad.. I drank it.. Nothing much was happening.. So I figured I had time to nip to the shop.. Upon getting to the shop car park there was this incredible urge to go which I had no control over.. It was late, around 11pm.. I went to put my foot out of the car to try and get out of the car but there were people around.. There was no way i was gonna make it into the shop toilets as it was a good 100m away.. So I reluctently got back into the car quickly and desperately looked for anything.. A carrier bag!.. tried to edge it under me and slide my trousers down enough and too late!! it went everywhere.. all over the drivers seat, down the crack in the seat onto the rear footwell, under the drivers seat, in the drivers side pocket.. It was the worst situation I could ever have imagine but at the same time a massive relief.. Needless to say I didn't go into the shop and went home instead. I drove to the Colonoscopy the next day after washing the car as best I could and it was soaking wet so I put several rolls of toilet paper and a bin liner over the seat so I could sit on it.. I can think back on this and laugh about it now. 

• Posted

I'm so sorry to hear of your experience! You just went through a fear I've had, as I lived with the chronic diarrhea. I'm not sure you'll ever laugh about it, but you now have a great understanding for others going through similar things. Oh yes, after taking the prep for a colonoscopy, having a restroom nearby at all times is a must!

• Posted

Sounds like you did have a really bad experience I will keep that in mind and definitely stay home while doing the prep...at least you get humor out of it now smile

• Posted

Trust me when I say I am likely the most scared person of hospitals and procedures, until now. Let me explain. I had a virus a few weeks ago, plus tonsillitis. That started to clear up, but there was blood in my urine. Doctors did some further tests, and took bloods. A few days later they ask me in, apparently my kidney is damaged. Another urine sample that looked normal to be had blood in it. They referred me to Hospital for Camera in the bladder. At this point I was very worried , lost nearly a stone in 2 weeks. I was convinced I had cancer, after looking online. Luckily I had private healthcare and seen a consultant. More blood in urine again. They booked a Cystoscopy and CT scan that week. I have never had a procedure before as too scared, I failed to attend 2 times to have my tonsils out due to fear of being put to sleep. I reluctantly turned up for Cystoscopy, camera in bladder (I am male), I did however try to leave but my consultant wouldn't let me so I went through with it, and was relieved to know my bladder was fine. I felt I could conquer the world. The next day I went in for CT scan in bladder/Kidney. The fear set in again, I tried to get out of having the iodine injected in to me, 3 nurses and a consultant trying to talk me around, it worked. Had the Scan and got a phone call the next day. My kidney was fine, relief, however they inadvertently picked up a Mass in my bowel, and thick lining. Shock horror again, feared the worst. Seen another consultant at the Christies Cancer hospital in Manchester, he booked me in for a Colonoscopy for 2 days later. Conquered the other stuff now faced with this. Told about sedation , read up on it and did not want it or to be put to sleep, these are my red lines. Went through the prep the day before to empty bowels, pretty gross after the first few glasses but carried on. Only use baby wipes, nothing else, worked well. Turned up at the hospital with my wife absolutely petrified, having palpitations. Nurse setting me up couldn't find my veigns as arms covered in tattoos, she prodded everywhere which freaked me out. At this point I feared the worst but had to go through the procedure as I felt it's do or die. Was scared in the room when they took me in but they made me feel at ease. They told me what they where injecting, buscopan, pain relief and sedative. When it went in I had instant relaxation. I purposely shut my eyes but then must have fell asleep. I had zero pain, zero discomfort. I woke up just before the end, started watching the screen and chatting to the doctor, unbelievable. They found 4 polyps, 1 benign, 3 suspected benign and cut them out. I felt nothing and no blood. I am told I have nothing to worry about. Although the biopsy goes off for testing, I am glad they are out. I have gone from an absolute fear of anything health related, to having 3 or 4 procedures in the last 2 weeks. My Colonoscopy was Friday just gone, now I feel on top of the world. People don't understand your fear, my fear, I am a cage fighter, yet had an unbelievable fear of procedures and the Unknown. I can tell you know, I would do it all again, I have not got those fears any more.

• Posted

That is great news!!! Congratulations on good news and conquering your fears. Lol, I will always be afraid, just my nature>> even tho I was put to sleep for both my colonoscopy and endoscopy; and I am now aware, that I won't remember a thing. Much much better to face things bravely than to fear procedures.

Glad to hear of your good news!

• Posted

Thank so much for your reply hopefully everything will come back OK...fear of the unknown is awful I haven't had any procedures done since I was three...which I don't remember...but I too am gonna have to overcome it

• Posted

Cindy

You are going to be just fine! No one who has posted on this site has mentioned any overly scary diagnosis. A few have mentioned IBS and I have a non bleeding ulcer.

I'm not going to say to not worry, since I tend to 'over worry' myself. But, you will get through this procedure, and will be able to share your experience with others.

Good luck and prayers for you Cindy.

• Posted

Thank you very much for the comment and for the Prayers and I will share when I have it done.. got sidetracked have another doctors appt tomm of something else that's came up and has to be taken care of which hopefully isn't going to be a big deal

• Posted

By the way , I also have diahorea and have had it for years. I was always told I have IBS but I never believed the doctors as I had no other symptoms like stomach cramps etc. However since my colonoscopy the other day, there was nothing wiring down there so in my case diahorea is the norm.
    • Posted

I'm hoping for IBS better than a lot of things it could be I think everyone naturally fears the worse praying that's not the case

• Posted

Anyone have any clues the past week I've had diarrhea only twice and semi normal stool with two days having no bowel movement at all???possibly the diarrhea trying to stop or ....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.