diarrhoea

Posted , 1 user is following.

Following part of my colon being removed I have almost permanent diarrhoea which only immodium/loperamide can hold back. I need a suitable diet and supplements. Any proven suggestions please?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi, you need a referral to see a nutritionist as it is important to get a diet that suits you and they need to keep an eye on you and your weight and do blood tests to check you are not low on iron etc. Depending on how much colon you had removed you will need to drink more liquids as easier to get dehydrated as less room for reabsorption from food. Have you had much advice from hospital such as having a low fibre diet? There are food additives that thicken the output and slows the transit, to combat diarroea but it best suggested by the nutritionist, so you use an appropriate one. My son had IBD and had high protein supplements and multi vitamins. He has an internal pouch now and copes without suppliments.

Good luck, Sheila.

• Posted

Sheila91262 many thanks for this informative posting which I will certainly make use of and hope to find a good nutritionist.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.