Diarrhoea after eating out

Posted , 6 users are following.

If I am out for a meal, I usually have to rush to the toilet within 30 minutes and suffer diarrhoea. This doesn't happen at home. I have ruled out allergies. I have also ruled out infection from food as I know I will be desperate to 'go' shortly after eating and others who have the same, don't suffer like me. I haven't got a gastric band so this doesn't seem to be 'dumping syndrome' - or is this possible without it? It's blighting my life. I even considered it may be IBS so take meds for this and charcoal and wind ease tablets before eating out but it is so random and comes on suddenly even after dosing up with meds. I don't know what to do.

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

You need to keep a food diary because there must be something that you are eating in restaurants that doesn't agree with you. You may have a food intolerance which is different from allergies. Restaurants will prepare and cook foods differently from you. It could still be infections from food because food poisoning bugs have different timescales for showing up depending on what type of food poisoned or upset your stomach. My dad and me often have an upset stomach after eating in other people's homes including other family members. We don't have food reactions in our own home. Other people may have different hygiene routines too. You could also try an elimination diet. You should also see your doctor to find out if it is IBS or some other gut complaint. You may need some testing done.

Consider all these possibilities, but seeing your doctor is the most important one.

• Posted

pippa58442 I've tried different restaurants and different fat levels in my choices. I even thought it may be the diet pepsi that I wasn't tolerating but every combination seemed to end up the same - I even check out where the toilets are before I eat anywhere because I will need to rush to them. Usually I am with my husband and have the same meal as him but he is fine. It's interesting to hear that you and your dad have a similar experience to me. I will try keeping a food diary.

• Posted

Perhaps the fear of a stomach upset in a restaurant is also triggering the attacks. Perhaps try Imodium before you eat. This is better than taking meds after you eat because you will be preventing the diarrhoea before it starts rather than treating the problem once it has struck. It will also give you confidence eating out if you have something to control it. This is what I would do.

• Posted

I'm starting to feel quite anxious about it pippa58442 and it may well be a trigger for the attacks. I had a word with a pharmacist today but she wanted me to see my gp rather than recommend a different med. Thanks for the advice.

• Posted

Definitely see your doctor to get answers and once you find out the cause, this will help your anxiety.

• Posted

Hi NoraM

Do you always use the same restaurant and order the same meal?....if so try a different eating place and different meal as they may use something in their cooking which does not agree with your digestive system. Do you go for spicey meals or meals containing a lot of fats? this too may be causing your problem. Also, stop taking the meds BEFORE you eat as these may well be adding to the problem. Make all these changes if need be and if there is no change pay a visit to your GP...

• Posted

No it's not the same restaurant mary 19068, If I'm going anywhere that there may be food - including parties, barbecues, etc, there is always the fear of feeling that horrible gurgling feeling in my stomach which usually precedes the flight to the loo! I have tried low-fat options and don't usually have spicey food when I'm out. I will try your suggestion of taking the meds after the meal and see if this is helpful. I will try talking to a pharmacist next time I'm in town as I now have some Google suggestions of what conditions may be at play here. It's making me so nervous when I'm out now, even if I don't eat. (though it doesn't happen if I don't eat).

• Posted

Hi NoraM

It's really odd that it doesn't happen when you eat at home. 🤔 Do you eat out regularly? do you get a bit anxious when you eat out or even a bit excited?...Do you eat a three course meal in the restaurant as apposed to just a meal at home. Perhaps your gut cannot handle too much food at once. Do you have wine or water with your restaurant meal?. and in my last reply i did mean not to take any meds at all as this could exacerbate the situation sorry if i didn't explain properly. l...

• Posted

When at home, it is probably more relaxing when preparing your own food. You have control over what you are eating and how it is prepared. In restaurants, when someone else is cooking, their methods will be different and may not suit your stomach. Having repeated stomach upsets with restaurant food will cause anxiety and this anxiety will upset the gut more.

• Posted

I don't eat out regularly Mary. I think the anxiety does play a part in this. Because I have to plan carefully when I know I'm eating when I go out. I don't usually have more than one course and maybe just a soft drink. I have spoken to a pharmacist and she didn't want to recommend any medication I can take. She said I should see my doctor.

• Posted

hi, im the exact same. Whenever i eat spicy food or takeout chicken/meat, i have upper abdomen pain a couple hours later and need to go. Ive had an ultra sound and it came back fine, ive been told it could be gastritis and gas. I wake up every morning with stomach pain and its usually whenever i eat in general that my stomach hurts. Try taking omperazole

• Posted

Hi NoraM

Yes, best to get professional help from your doctor. I do hope something can be done for you so you can enjoy a meal out with no problems.....best wishes

• Posted

Sorry to hear that emilyash. I will try to get that med. Thanks for the recommendation.

• Posted

Thanks mary. It really is a mystery and a nuisance!

• Posted

Hi Nora, i know this post was a while ago. I just wondered if you had any luck finding something that would help? i have exactly the same thing!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.