diarrhoea after gallbladder removal

Posted , 2 users are following.

I had my gallbladder removed last April 2009,and although I made a good recovery, I am still suffering from bouts of diarrhoea. I have had to resort to taking immodium,and this helps a great deal. I seem to have flare ups of the diarrhoea and it doesnt seem to matter what I eat,unless its something greasy. I can go for a week or so when everything is fine,and then the diarrhoea starts up again with no obvious cause Sometimes it is full of yellow bile,and I know it's because I have lost my gallbladder store now. I just wondered if anyone else has experienced this . I mentioned it to my doctor 2 weeks ago and all she said was that this sometimes happens and just to take immodium if it was bad.It has got to the stage now that I can't go out for a meal in case I need to rush to the loo.I have to say that I was prone to this before I got my gallbladder out,and the surgeon said it had probably not been working properly for a while.due to all the stones in it.Does anyone else have this problem and if so is there something other than immodium that I can take.

Jean

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

I had my gallbladder taken out at the same time as you. I have only had a few bouts of diarrhoea but since Sunday(3rd) I have had terrible bouts. I have lost 6lbs and feel very weak, so much so that I had a bad fall. The doctor doesn't know where it came from and was given Dyoralite drinks,yuk. Now having to get over the battering of the fall. Hope you feel better soon.
  • Posted

Hi Maggie,

It's Jean here. I am sorry you have not been too well .and hope you have recovered from your fall.This diarrhoea I have is more of a nuisance than anything else I can go for days eating the same things,and then all of a sudden I have to rush to the loo,and it seems to be there all day,with me making several visits . A few months back I had a bout that lasted on and off for 2 weeks,and I was getting really stressed. Remember Nichola,my daughter in law who had to have an emergency Gb removal? Well she has a stitch like pain in her side which seems to be there constantly,and she has been sent for all sorts of tests,but they have found nothing. She has cut a few things out of her diet now ,and it seems to be getting better,so it's all digestion related.It sounds like you have had a stomach bug when you were unwell.I hope you are back to eating normally again. You will feel a lot better once you are able to get some food inside you . Let me know how you are Take care,

Jean xx

• Posted

Hi Jean So sorry you are suffering. I have had a bad bug. The GP came out again today. She feels sure that I have cracked a couple of ribs in the fall but she gave me a thorough examination and everything else seems ok. She says I am dehydrated so to try to drink and eat something in small quantities. I did try soup last night but vomitted it up. First time I have been sick since last November. The runs should go soon but the ribs will take a few weeks to get better.

It must be destressing for both you and Nichola and there seems little one can do to help. My friend has constant pain and she had hers out quite a few years ago. I found it difficult to go to the loo after the op except for every now and then I have a day where I can't stop going. I constantly have pain in my ex gallbladder area - back and front. I still can only eat very little and restricted food types. It's boring when evryone else is tucking in!

I hope you get some relief soon. Take care, Maggiex

• Posted

Hi Jane, I had my gallbladder removed June 2013,and am still getting bouts of diorhea.exactly the same as you, it is really depressing. I do not feel ill.My G P said that two thirds of people complain of this.I am going to ask for imodium on prescription. It is comforting in away to know iam not the only one.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.