Diarrhoea and diverticulitis

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi does anyone get diarrhoea with there flare ups , I have such an upset tummy, newly diagnosed with diverticulitis, I have ibs too

fed up off always going the loo !!πŸ˜₯πŸ˜‘πŸ˜£

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Hi niknik13yes i have all this and more and it gets worse as time goes on and you find that you can't go out any where such as to the shops or a friends house or visiting any one and always on edge, best regards john,

• Posted

Before, during, and after a flare up I have lose stools and gurgling tummy mate. Prior to my dx I suffered mostly with 60/40 constipation/lose stools. This disease is dreadful tbh. In two months time I've been in hospital twice. I. really hoping for a resection at this point. I'm not going to live a life of repeated hospital visits that will bankrupt my family.

• Posted

Hi jacob i know just how feel as i have all this right now and i also bleed from the bowl of and on never stops, it really sucks when you have to keep going to hospital all the time and it does effect your family life as well, you say it may bankrupt you do you have to pay for all your medical treatment are you living in the U.S. best regards john,

• Posted

Yeah mate, ex pat (Manc) living in America. I have what I think is chronic diverticulitis. I go on meds and stay healthy for about 2 months, then back in hospital for four days of IV meds. Absolute shambles this🀬.

• Posted

Hi, I'm curious with your chronic status if you've ever been referred to a surgeon for the old sigmoidectomy. I've had multiple bouts of uncomplicated Diverticulitis (no apparent perforation), a few antibiotic treatments but never hospitalization/IV. GI doc said I needed to have sigmoid removed and surgeon concurred. I've yet to commit to it but know it's an eventuality and best get it done before I get too old or it becomes an emergency. I'm just surprised that it appears many of you have had multiple bouts, are chronic and no recommendation for surgery. I know the trend is shifting but there was a position before by the docs that 3 episodes constitutes surgery.

• Posted

it's horrible I hate it, is it what we eat? that triggers it?

• Posted

As I'm in America now mate I've actually already met with a surgeon on my own accord. I'm waiting to see how I heal after this last hospitalized. If I were a betting man I'd say I'll get the sigmoidectomy in the new year.

• Posted

Best of luck. I was scheduled for December 10th for the surgery but postponed since I'm in the midst of a move. Once settled in I'll seek out a new surgeon and see where that takes me. As stress has been a big instigator of my episodes I hope I make it without incident. Moving 1000 miles can be a bit stressful. 😐

• Posted

Hi, Yes, when I get flare-ups, I suffer with diarrhea too. My GP has prescribed loperamide for this and it really does help me. I only take it when I have flare-ups, so I don't need it very often. and it works quite quickly. If there aren't any reasons why you should not take it, you may be able to get your doctor to prescribe it for you. I believe it is possible to buy this over the counter, but I may be wrong and I don't know how it would affect your IBS,

I think you should ask your doctor for some help with this and he should be able to find something to make things at least a little easier for you.

• Posted

Yes, it's a commonly listed symptom, but I also think there are so many other conditions that seemed to be linked with those who suffer from Diverticulitis. I have been diagnosed with Diverticulitis, IBS, SIBO, told I probably have leaky gut syndrome and probably a few others that I forgot about. the longest reprieve I've had from intestinal distress was after a course of treatment with Rifaxamin (Xifaxan). A couple of years without diverticular flareups, etc. Subsequent courses weren't so successful. I am amazed how little continuity there is on the medical field regarding gut issues. Some fully subscribe to the idea of leaky gut, others seem to think its junk science. One other anecdotal story here; a friend was diagnosed with either crohn's or colitis, I can't remember which. She suffered for years with no success or relief. Then she had a dermatological issue and prescribed some antibiotic for it. It cleared up her skin condition and she's been symptom free from gut problems now for around 5 years. I've tried to get her to remember which antibiotic but she doesn't recall.

It all seems like a crap shoot (pun intended).

• Posted

thank-you for your help and knowledge it's all very new to me

• Posted

There is so little known about this disease. I never ever suffered diarrhoea with this. I kept going to gastro doc with pain. He kept saying ibs, but i had no symptoms of that. Then bang, one dayi had such a severe infection i was hospitalised long story short, my bowel had perforated, 5 months later i had bowel resection. My surgeon said they are still learning about it all. I was a fit healthy vegetarian. So it doesnt fit with the constipated unhealthy person they used to say got this disease!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.