Diarrhoea for the last 3 months

Posted , 1 user is following.

I think I have had IBS for years without realising it. I sometimes get constipated for no obvious reason in that my diet which is very healthy never changes. It is also sometimes accompanied with pain and bloating. I never considered that it might be IBS as I always thought IBS presented itself with loose stools only. I now realise that is incorrect.

However for the last 3 months I have been having frequent loose stools in the morning, a visit to the toilet can be anything between 3-7 times.

I am seeing my GP who arranged for a blood test to check for coeliac disease and my haemoglobin among other things, she also arranged for me to have a FIT bowel screening test all of which came back normal.

I asked her if I could have IBS but she said no as it does not start in people of my age (I'm 68). She then said that perhaps I should get a CT scan to eliminate other things because of my age. I am afraid that I panicked and never thought to tell her about my ongoing bowel issues that I have had for decades.

I did a food diary a few weeks ago before I was tested for coeliac and omitted where possible gluten and went for 6 days where everything was normal.

Is it not uncommon for someone of my age to have these symptoms (diahorrea) for this length of time?

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.