Diarrhoea: Linked to Cholycystectomy?

Posted , 2 users are following.

So glad I found you all today. Had my gall bladder removed in January 1995 because, not only was it badly diseased, but also full of large stones that were obstructing the bile duct. So glad I had the operation.

However, in the past few years, I've had what GP thought was Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) due to severe stress; but over the last few years I have put on about 4 stone and been unable to shift any of the weight.

Over the last couple of years, diarrhoea has been the blight of my life. Another example today: went out for lunch with my sister. Within 10 minutes of eating, had the most dreadful pain in my stomach and had to literally run to the loo (sadly, didn't make it in time, as I had no control over my bowel whatsoever).

GP ordered a blood test for coeliac disease so am waiting on that.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Try going on a virtualy fat free diet for a month and also don't drink any milk, some people are allergic to the a protein casein in  milk,  not only just  lactose intolerant. Look up casein intolerance on Google - just a thought as my wife had similar symptoms. She went virtually fat free and and gluten free too and her syptoms went  gradually. I had to go fat free for six weeks priot to my gall bladder coming out and I lost 1.75 stone - I was stunned it just fell off...the weight that is..lol!!
    • Posted

Hi nick1955, thank you for your prompt reply.  Good advice!

Did your wife have any tests to discover if she was lactose intolerant?  I'm guessing that my blood test for coeliac disease will show whether or not I am allergic to gluten?  Sorry for the questions but never had to do any of this stuff before......

• Posted

It makes no difference if she drinks lactose free milk, she has just started to use coconut milk and coconut yoghurts too in moderation as it is quite fattening. The consultant is pretty sure it's the cassein she is allergic to in milk, but it's not the lactose that is her problem. She ate  some home made  ice cream in a restaurant about four months ago and she was extremely ill for months, and since she has given up milk etc  she has improved a lot  in the last months. She was tested for Coeliac desease too, but she isn't.  Bile duct was scanned, liver, pancreas, kidneys wwere scanned, gastroscopy, sigmoidoscopy a lot of blood tests and stool samples, tested for Giardia and all the other parasitic nasties. Thyroid tested. She was also tested for  lack of or too much pancreatic enzymes. He also mentioned the possibilty of  bile salt mal absorbtion see link: https://patient.info/doctor/gastrointestinal-malabsorption

Hope this isn't all too much information

• Posted

Thank you for this, Nick.  Your poor wife!  I am being very careful with fats at the moment but still find I have to be really careful when I'm out and about, ensuring I can get to a Ladies'.  Even had to give up the chance of a really lovely invitation to do something nice because it involved being outside for a few hours with no guarantee of being near a loo....... Have had coeliac blood test and C-Reactive Protein test and will be seeing my GP next week to discuss matters.  I'm not walking round incontinent in a nappy for the rest of my life, I have far too much living to do!  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.