Diarrhoea since wednesday

Posted , 6 users are following.

Got diarrhoea since wednesday and still going on. Foul smelling with abdominal cramp. More than 4 times a day. GP advised not to take imodium. Not been eating but since passing watery poos with little faecal matter. GP will take specimen if no improvement. It is too watery for specimen. He thinks it is viral, can diarrhoea last that long I am elderly as well. Nobodyelse in the house has got make me wonder if it is something more serious. I feel so weak and tired for not eating but taking fluids. As soon as I eat I have to use the toilet. Thanks

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi marie13049

Take your doctors advice. .A sample can be taken from the watery stool. Do as your doctor says, continue with fluids as this will wash out the bug, rest up and as doctor advised contact him/her again if no improvement ...hope it clears up for you... soon.

• Posted

I totally agree with Mary19068.

I suffer with IBS so can hv bouts of this. Main point is to keep hydrated and if gets worse or too prolonged return to your GP or walk-in centre. On occasion I had a stomach/intestine infection and was given a course of antibiotics which cleared the pain and main diarrhea but I remained on mebeverine until it had totally cleared. I return to mebeverine when a bout of IBS starts.

However since having a Roux-en-y op I get very little IBS but hasn't totally vanished. In times of my periods I hv IBS too.

Does your period make yours worse?

• Posted

I would take Imodium; it will do you no harm and will stop the diarrhoea. Start with a small dose to start with Take a tablet before eating to stop you running to the loo. I find Imodium is the only thing that helps me if I get diarrhoea. Your doctor is wrong in telling you not to take it. At the very least he should have prescribed you something else if he advised aagainst Imodium. I would see someone else more helpful. My doctor has given me wrong advice too.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.