Diastolic hypertension - HELP!

Posted , 6 users are following.

I need some advice!

A week ago, I woke in the middle of the night with a horrendous headache.  I was dizzy, nauseous and the pain in my head was unbearable.

I still had a headache the next day and got an appointment with my GP.

My BP was 130/115.  He kept telling me to relax (I was!) and he took it about 6 times.... still the same.

He was really concerned and first tried me on 5mg amlodipine.

The next day I went back and it was still high, he got me a monitor and I Was to check it a few times during the day - the fluctuated but on the high side (the morning ones were the worst).

He then upped my dose to 10mg and now it has come down to near normal.

All my bloods came back as great - cholesterol, kidney function, tryglycerides etc all ok.

I don't smoke, am 5'4 and 51 kilos.  I am a long distance runner and resting heart rate is good.

I am terrified of getting that headache again and also concerned that he doesn't know what is causing it.

Is the BP medication just a sticking plaster?  I mean it's brought the BP down but I imagine there is an underlying problem there??

Am a bit scared, deperate to exercise again and feeling down about it all.

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks in advance x

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

This could be totally unrelated to BP. Extreme headache, nausea, dizziness, those could actually be symptoms of a migraine. Not everyone gets the tunnel vision etc. My migraines only usually last about 24hrs, I get that horrible headache and if it's bad enough I will get the nausea and dizziness. Did you have any light or sound sensitivity with it? Extreme pain will also raise your blood pressure and so will the worry if you don't know what's causing it. Or, the two could simply not be related. Having said all that, please remember I'm not a doctor and I'm just relating to my personal experiences. I would press your doctor for answers as to the reason of the headache or possibly search for a second opinion. However, do stay on the BP medicine if your BP is elevated.

• Posted

Thanks Margaret for such a prompt reply.

I have had migraines before and this felt very different.... normally when I get a migraine I get it at the front of my head, like it's behind the eye and I get very light-sensitive. This headache was very different.

Perversely tonight, I took my blood pressure before dinner and it's back up to 150/105 and that's on the double dose of BP meds. Will keep on with them and seeing the doc again on Tuesday smile

Thanks again x

• Posted

Is it an arm monitor that you are using as wrist ones are unreliable. If it has a symbol showing an erratic heart rate readings at that time will not be reliable. You will normally get higher readings first thing in the morning.  

Sit quitely for five minutes and then take four or five readings over a fifteen minute period. If they are broadly similar you can believe them but if you get them in a wide range believe the ones closest together or the last one. Keep a record of them for your GP.

• Posted

Indeed, if you've had migraines before and know what they feel like and this wasn't it, then it would have to be something else. It COULD be from BP. Another culprit could be tension. I'm going through this right now. I changed offices at work (I sit at a desk all day) and my desk/chair configuration is different from what I'm used to. Been experiencing bad headaches for the past couple of weeks and I know they will continue until my body get's used to the new position. But it's still a PITA, or PITH LOL. Hope you BP normalizes. and you figure out what that headache was from.

• Posted

High BP could be caused by a number of things. Is anything off with your thyroid? When was your last full physical? When my BP was high a few years ago, I was referred to a cardiologist and wore a cuff for 24 hours. It took my blood pressure automatically every so often to give a better snap shot. It averaged out to be fine so then we looked into sleep apnea and after a sleep study, yup, severe sleep apnea. With the CPAP those headaches I get when my BP was high got better. Now my BP is up again, now on meds, so we are thinking maybe another underlying cause. Keep asking questions. Dr can put you on a different med, there are many out there. Maybe you could be scheduled for a stress test too. Good luck
  • Posted

It sounds like you might have hypertension and nothing else many people do if your tests were normal be thankful that your blood pressure medicine is working and give it a while and see how you feel that's the only thing I can think of right now. 💛💙?🐸🌹🌸🌻🌺

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.