Diazapan 2 x 2mg - 8 years!

Posted , 4 users are following.

Well the doctors finally decided the drugs dont work, so last week I did 4 days on 2mg then 2 days on 4mg (weekend as i was bad), I did the 2mg cut as thats the pill type I have, I could cut them into 1mg, am very tired, thick headed... anyone done this and survived ?

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hello Mark,

you are cutting down fast!   I would have reduced by 1/2 a tablet at a time,  ie cutting a tablet in half and making the dose 3.5, staying on that for 4 weeks and then making another reduction - again by 1/2 down to 3mg.  As you get down lower it gets harder and you will need to quarter and possibly even eigth the tablets.  Has your Dr given you any idea of the time he is allowing for you to come off?    It must be done slow,  very slow.  It can be done and life will be good once it is all over,  I would give yourself a year to fully get through this and feeling the benifits of life with eyes wide open and having energy you had forgotten you had,    slow seems boring and you want it over and done with,  not a good idea though.

Exercise, walking is easy done,  drink lots of fluid and eat plenty protien,  look after your muscles,  keep busy as you can,  push yourself to do things to stay occupied,  is hard Mark  and you will be sorely tested,  keep positive and know it will be worth it.    

Warmest regards

Jessie x

• Posted

Ok I will take your advise as I have a history of reacting badly
    • Posted

Hello Mark,

try to be gentle with yourself and how you approach things,  deep breath and plunge in does not always work the best,  sometimes just ambling up doing whatever needs to be done in a slow relaxed way gets better results.   I hope you do find the patience to make a slow withdrawal, some reductions will be harder to get through than others, depends on what else is going on with your life at the time.  If you feel you need a few more days before you reduce your dose again, just stay at the same amount until you feel comfortable with yourself and strong enough to deal with the next round of withdrawal symptoms.

Keep occupied,  keep on the go and keep positive....    you will be fine and walk out of the other end of this tough time.   

Warmest regards

Jessie.x

• Posted

8 years is a long time to be on these, but 4 mg a day is a pretty low dose so i would try and get off them sooner, if you cut 1 mg every 1-4 weeks and phase into the next dose reduction like this it may be hard but youll be fine.

4, 4. 4. 3, 4, 4, 3     4, 3. 4. 3, 4, 3, 3.   

3, 3, 3 ,2, 3, 3, 2     3, 2, 3 ,2, 3, 2, 2

2, 2, 2, 1, 2, 2, 1     2, 1, 2, 1, 2, 1, 1

1, 1, 1, 0, 1, 1, 0     1, 0, 1, 0, 1, 0, 0

• Posted

Mark,

My daughter is on 2mg of Diazepam 3 times a day, what would be the best way to reduce her dose.  She's been on it for about 3 years.  She has Autism, and a seizure disorder.  This stuff is not working for her and I've been too afraid to take her off.  her doc says she's on a low dose and that I should just reduce it by 2mg each wean.  I'm afraid of doing it like that but I can't wait to get her off of it as it has caused her anxiety and panic attacks.  Thanks!

• Posted

Please be very careful there are some methods on line even half a pill ween has hit me hard. Very slow and very gradual
    • Posted

I would go real slow with this the dr is saying 3 weeks which i think is too fast. a lot of dr's are not benzodiazapine aware or have had no training on withdrawel. One question was the diazapam originally presvribed for the seizures or for something else like anxiety or social phobia.

i'd suggest over about 15 weeks,

draw out a chart and write down as you go along or if it needs adjusting, it goes without saying that if at any time your daughter gets any worrying symptons dont faff about go to the A&E or call 999 without hesitation.

first four weeks

6, 6, 6, 4, 6, 6, 4     6, 6, 4, 6, 4, 6, 4     6, 4, 6, 4, 6, 4, 4     6, 4, 4, 6, 4, 4, 4          see how your doing at this point

the next drop is only 25% so you can do it over 3 weeks

4, 4. 4. 3, 4, 4, 3     4, 3. 4. 3, 4, 3, 3.   4, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3     

the last 3 mgs i would do 4 weeks each

3, 3, 3 ,2, 3, 3, 2     3, 3, 2 ,3, 2, 3, 2     3, 2, 3, 2, 3, 2, 2     3, 2, 2, 3, 2, 2, 2

2, 2, 2, 1, 2, 2, 1     2, 1, 2, 1, 2, 1, 2

1, 2, 1, 2, 1, 2, 1     2, 1, 1, 2, 1, 1, 1

1, 1, 1, 0, 1, 1, 0     1, 0, 1, 0, 1, 0, 1

0, 1, 0, 1, 0, 1, 0     1, 0, 0, 1, 0, 0, 0

• Posted

this is definately doable and your daughter will be the better for it, some people have no problems but you must be prepared for some symptons such as rebound anxiety, possibly insomnia and others listed in the article on wikipedia, just google diazepam and it'll come up in the first few results.
    • Posted

She's on 2mg 3 times a day so I was planning on doing

AM

• Posted

OOPS, hit wrong key.

Like I said she's on 2mg 3 times a day so I was planning on using the schedule according to Dr. Ashton and giving her 2mg in the morning, 1mg in the Afternoon and 2mg in the evening for about 1 to 2 weeks, depending on how it goes.  Then I would cut the morning dose to 1mg, afternoon dose will stay at 1mg and the evening dose will stay at 2mg.  then after 1 or 2 weeks, I would stop the middle dose and keep the morning at 1mg and the evening at 2mg.  After 1 or 2 weeks I would stop the morning dose and keep the evening dose at 2mg.  Then after 1 or 2 weeks, I would cut the evening dose to 1mg for about 1 to 2 weeks and then stop altogether.  This is the plan, whether it goes this way or not is in God's hands.  Prayers please!

• Posted

this is a little faster than i suggested 5-10 weeks but it is doable. I know its a low dose but be really carefull with diazepam or any other benzodiazapine. I would still recommeend the slower taper as  you could have problems with one 2 mg dose in the evenings, and the taper above is designed so it is has no steps, it's more of a gradual reduction with one reduction fading into the lower one, so should be easier on the  body. best wishes and dont hesitate to ask if you have any more questions.

lionel

• Posted

I was thinking about having her doctor change to the oral solution of diazepam and then reducing it that way, what do you think?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.