Diazapan for prostatitis

Posted , 7 users are following.

I’ve read that Diazapan can be effective in the treatment of prostatitis as it relaxes the pelvic muscles and also reduces anxiety. 

I find that my prostatitis flares up when I’m anxious and the symptoms make me more anxious resulting in a vicious circle .

Does any one have any expert with this drug ? 

Thanks 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Yes, years ago my urologist prescribed me 2mg Valium and told me to break it in half and take one in the morning and one at night.  It worked. I only took it in the morning because I didn’t want to get use to it to sleep. It definitely settles it down.  Now I only use if I feel symptoms start to ramp up. I only take a few days  and then I’m good.
    • Posted

Hi Joe,

What type of symptoms do you have before you take the valium. It's good that you're getting results on 2mg/day which is a nice low dose.

Jim

• Posted

Hi Dco,

Diazapam (valium) has been around for a long time. It's a muscle relaxant and also can reduce anxiety. Certainly something to consider. On the other hand, if you have retention, diazapam could make it worse, or not, so that should be carefully monitored.  Diazapam can also be additive so dosage and frequency should be considered.  While I would consider this drug for prostatitis, I might run it by your urologist, GP and psychiatrist if you're seeing one, so everything can be coordinated.

Jim

• Posted

It would make a great deal of sense to prescribe a post-op, short course of a low-dose anxyolytic / sedative for any guy who has a prostate procedure.  After all, how many times do we read on here about the post-op trials and tribulations of guys immediately following their procedures?

You mentioned that your "prostatitis flares up when [you're] anxious and the symptoms make [you] more anxious resulting in a vicious circle."  I can only imagine what it's like for guys immediately following a corrective procedure, when they're left to wonder about the outcome.  Best of luck to you, dcooperxyz.

• Posted

Hi Alan,

Thanks for your reply. I have not had any procedures done . I was diagnosed with chronic prostatitis 3 years ago and when it flares up I experience multiple  symptoms that cause me a great deal of anxiety , and the anxiety can make pelvic pain worse . So I was wondering if Diazepam may break the cycle of anxiety. 

Regards

• Posted

I notice that an urge comes just as I pull into my driveway and get out of my car. It comes when I stop at a store parking lot and get out of my car as well. It comes just when I have my hands full of things and I can't stop to do anything about it. I am not aware of any fear and only recognize this situation when I see that I can't take an urgent break right now but my psyche seems to pick such situations more often that random timing can be blamed for it. I often get urges when the restroom is at the other end of Home Depot or Wal Mart and I simply have to go pee NOW, meaning I have ten to twenty seconds to get where I am going or wet my pants! I never thought of taking Diazapam for it. I am rather anti-drug because of so many studies that show their harmful effects. Drugs kill too many people every year.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.