Diazepam 2mg

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi guys. Had a bad panic attack in the night last night. Tonight I feel worried it's going to happen again . Do I take a diazepam at 9 to keep me calm ? Will it work guys ? And I'm on my own too. Is it ok?

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

If you really need them then yes but if you can try and get over this without it it would be better as diazepam can be very addictive, only you know how bad you feel. I'm on day 2 of anxiety and no sleep (6.5)hrs in 2 days! Dr said I can have sleeping tablets but I really don't want them hope that helps x
    • Posted

God how do you do it Vicki? What triggers yours? Does it just disappear then?

Sorry so many questions. Just nice to have support on here x

• Posted

It is likely that it will work yes but you do need to find something else to help you cope with and prevent panic attacks, it is very addictive and tolerance to it can build very quickly too meaning a higher dose is required to achieve the same effects.

I will spare you my life story but will tell you one thing, if I could turn back the clock to when I first began suffering panic attacks and was prescribed diazepam I would have handed the prescription back and walked out.

One dose is fine but if you don't find another way to cope with the panic it can lead to relying on diazepam and that is something you never want to experience.

There are lots of other medications that could help, if all you need is short term relief maybe ask your GP about antihistimines, they are widely used for short term anxiety relief, not addictive and should work very well too.

• Posted

Thank you x massive help. I do feel edgey but tired so not going to take one. I suppose if worse case I wake again panicky, I can take one to help X

That's what I thought about diazepam.I had them on the sofa with me last night and they by my side now but didn't want to take it unless last resort. My friends and family, colleagues telling me take it!

Well they would as they don't know how it is!

• Posted

I think it's best to use it strictly on a last resort basis and you have a very sensible attitude torwards them, it's easy for others to say 'take it', everyone was saying the same to me all those years ago and I admit to being a little biased about these things but they can lead to so many problems if they are taken too often.

Try every other way to cope with the panic first and only if that fails use the diazepam, maybe just knowing you have it there will help you to feel a bit safer x

• Posted

Hi can you tell me please what problems can occur with long term diazepam use? Have u had experience of this? Hope you don't mind me asking .
    • Posted

I'm not doing very well I've been on citalopram 4 years and that was fine all that time then I've just had a blip so upped it to 30 mg I have had two really bad sleeps and that's all I can think about is not sleeping a 3rd night but I reuse to take sleeping tablets or diazepam I am so anxious now as im scared I won't sleep but trying to relax and talk my self out of it xx
    • Posted

Well initially you become tolerant, you need more which may not seem like too big of a problem at first especially if you have a willing doctor and the updosing helps but like all benodiazepines many people find that they become so tolerant that no amount provides relief.

Then you have tolerance withdrawal, you can google this and it is very real, I am not saying it happens to every person who uses it long term but it can to a lot of people.

You go into withdrawal despite maintaining your usual dose, you may experience some nasty withdrawal symptoms and believe you have simply become more ill, many doctors will agree,perhaps even increase the dose but that may not even help.

I was used to the odd panic attack and bad nerves but was not prepared for the things I began to suffer over 2 months ago, panic attacks 24/7, the continous racing heart, dry retching, sweating profusely for hours on end, going to the toilet 10times a day,things I had never felt at such a severe level or for so long in all my years as a sufferer of anxiety.

I had blood tests, physical examinations and nothing was found to be wrong, it was blamed on stress but what stress? I had suffered no more stress than at any other time in my life and I know myself and how I react, at least I did.

At one point I even thought I had been given placebo pills, I asked my GP because I felt I was in withdrawal and she said she didn't think it was possible.

I researched some more, I wanted to know if it was possible and found a very good article written by a professor who confirmed it was indeed possible, I then went to a forum where I found many people like myself who had suddenly encountered the same problems.

I panicked, too scared to taper the pills I returned to my GP who increased the dose slightly but it has been no help at all.

Today I found the contact details for a tranquiliser addiction support group who sadly don't cover my area but were willing to speak with me at length and reassure me that it's not all in my head, this can happen.

I am going to print off all the information I have found and show my doctor, again I am not saying this happens to everyone, just that it is possible and I wouldn't wish this nightmare on anyone x

• Posted

What I mean by asked my GP if it was possible was that I wanted to know if you could go into withdrawal whilst maintaining the dose, sorry I may not have written that very clearly, I just knew something wasn't right, had the thought of them being placebos but knew that was unlikely yet absolutely knew it felt like withdrawal.

I know what withdrawal feels like because years ago a doctor took me off them cold turkey and how I began to feel was very similar.

Also I rapidly became extremely agoraphobic, I had mild tendencies prior to this but now I feel intense fear at the thought of walking out of the door, I found out that long term use can do that too x

• Posted

Thank you very much for your reply. I never realised that you could have withdrawal symptoms whilst still taking the tablets! I have been taking 5mgs daily for many years . I believed I was a sensible user and was unaware that there could be a problem even if I maintened that dose. I can identify with some of the things that are happening to you but not for a moment did I connect it to diazepam! You've gave me lots to think about! Thank you. 
    • Posted

You are welcome, I don't want to scare anyone and certainly would never attempt to diagnose anyone but I do feel that people should be aware of the possibilities, I too believe myself to be a sensible user, always took as precribed, never took an extra one at any point either.

I was updosed a few times in the first 7 years of taking them but then for the next 10 years I never increased the dose even when doctors suggested I should, it was sheer desperation 3 weeks ago that made me cave in and accept an increase of 2mg per day, big mistake.

Be informed and do some research but of course don't just stop them, as you probably know that in itself can be very dangerous so if you ever decide it's time to reduce them make sure it's done slowly and under medical supervision.

• Posted

I would work on your relaxation and if you really need the medication then take it

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.