Diazepam

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi guys, I was prescribed 5mg of diazepam about 4 weeks ago as I’ve got extreme anxiety and panic disorder.

I have also been struggling with what I assume are physical side effects of anxiety, such as, constantly feeling off balanced, feeling like I’m swaying or moving when I’m not, and at times it feels like the ground is moving from underneath me. These physical symptoms are all new to me, so they’re very scary and always seem to put me into a panic.

My doctor believes that this is all due to the anxiety/panic, as I’ve had numerous testing done and everything has come back normal.

Anyway, when I first started taking the diazepam I was told to take one full 5mg tablet every 6 hours, however I started by only take half a tablet when I felt like I needed it as I was scared that I’d become dependent on it or suffer from side effects. This went on for quite a while and it was really, really helping. I’d only take one half most days and on bad days I’d end up taking the other half hours later once again only if needed.

Now, about a week or so ago, I ended up having a major panic attack and ended up giving in and taking a full tablet, once again, this really helped me and now I’ve just been taking a full tablet when I’m feeling really bad.

There have only been two occasions where I have taken 2 tablets in one day but each time I took the 2nd tablet it had been over 6 hours since I took the first.

Anyhow, the main reason I’m posting all this is because recently I’ve started experiencing withdrawal symptoms (head/brain zaps and weird feeling when moving my head or eyes) I usually experience this sensation if I forget to take one of my lexapro tablets so that’s how I know it feels like a withdrawal symptom, but the thing is I haven’t stopped taking any of my medications. Do you guys think it could be the diazepam and maybe it’s causing this as I don’t take it consistently? I’m really quite confused, so any advice, replies or personal experiences with diazepam would be greatly appreciated! Also, sorry about the huge post.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

if your not taking the diaz consistantly i would say these are probably symptoms of your anxiety has you doc just started u on ad's or increased them?

• Posted

I did think maybe I was possibly over thinking it and it was manifesting into anxiety. I've been on ads for a long time but the doctor did up my dose by 10mg.

• Posted

could be the benzo,they only work for so many hrs,then the body can feel withdrawal type symptoms. I have taken them for years,they helped me so much,now in the U.S. doctors are stopping most of the prescribing for these Med's and having their patients taper off them. My doctor retired,I'm having to taper and now wish I had never taken them. If I were you,knowing what I know about the drug now,I would try and find a different type anxiety med and or go to counseling. You don't want to be forced off them some say,not a fun situation. Hope you feel better.

• Posted

Thank you so much for your reply!

I do think it must be the benzo because I do not take it everyday and then if I'm having a bad day I will take one and then hours after it or the next day I'll feel the weird withdrawal type feelings. I didn't take any at all yesterday and I am going to try and do that again today as I have a doctors appointment tomorrow and I'm going to ask about other options because although the benzo helps heaps, I do not want to become dependent on it.

I'm sorry to hear about the tapering, I hope you are feeling okay, I wish you all the best with it.

• Posted

You could be hitting tolerance. Meaning the previous amount is no longer helping. This is how people get into trouble. They continue to increase their dose. Please be careful. Because you have not been on them long, maybe it is a good time to consider very slowing coming off.

• Posted

That could be it, that's what happened when I was only taking the half of the 5mg at the beginning. At first half worked really well, then it started to feel like it wasn't helping as much, and then I had a major panic attack and took a full tablet, so that's what I've been taking when I feel like I need it ever since. I can have days where I don't take any at all. I am going to the doctors tomorrow so I am going to ask about other options. Thank you for your reply.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.